Transplanted my hops

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I got them growing from rhiozome in the spring and was doing good, but chose a poor location and had to move them. Only 1 plant in the pic. Looking for opinions on weather is it malnourished, thirsty,drowned or dreaded "I killed it by moving". It has been moved almost 3 weeks now.
2017-07-30 21.41.53.jpg

2017-07-30 21.40.27.jpg

Looks burned. Were they previously in a shady location? Some plants need to be hardened before full exposure to sun.

Not blighty or mildue your doing better than me Snooky I've no hop plants to call my own...

Burned is possible, they had shade during afternoon / evening rather than morning where they are now...

Should I possibly cut off the weaker looking shoots to allow the stronger ones to thrive ?

I believe in the springtime you're supposed to cut the weaker shoots off and pick the two or three strongest shoots and begin to wrap them around the twine

I transplanted one crown a couple of weeks ago and it's doing okay...and I'm in Texas with 100+ degrees every day. Mine looks pretty ragged like yours, but new green growth is coming out all over it. Keep the roots watered but not swamped and you'll be okay.

I transplanted one crown a couple of weeks ago and it's doing okay...and I'm in Texas with 100+ degrees every day. Mine looks pretty ragged like yours, but new green growth is coming out all over it. Keep the roots watered but not swamped and you'll be okay.
Gives me hope for getting some hops in future there JA

Gives me hope for getting some hops in future there JA
Remains to be seen whether any cones will develop and not burn up before they can be harvested. Right now I've got wispy flowers starting, but there's still 2 months of scorching weather. Hops ain't hot weather plants. :rolleyes: My Centennials may do a little good but I'm planning on planting some Neomexicanus next spring. Those should do a little better.

Actually there are a course of healthy looking pieces, so perhaps there's more hope than I thought. Wait and see I guess. Thinking about putting a wall around the one side to only let in an hour or 2 of direct sunlight, especially for august.

Well now you've done it @ JA and @sn00ky i went and purchased a cascade ryzome from Victoria :p. Will be here I. Two weeks it's cool here ATM so probably good planting time wind be long and spring will be here now I gotta find out about growing hops...

Lol, spontaneous much? That is awesome. Next year will be the contest for runner up! Pun intended ha

Thinking about putting a wall around the one side to only let in an hour or 2 of direct sunlight, especially for august.
Hours of daylight are what determine production. Light is good, heat is bad. I planted mine where they'd be shaded in the afternoon, but only because it's so hot here in the critical time of the growing season By the time it starts cooling off, day length is not sufficient to trigger production of cones. Give them full sun.

Burning happens when a plant goes from little or no direct sunlight to extended direct sun. The leaves aren't able to quickly adapt to the heavy change in radiation. This is common when you buy starters from a covered nursery and transplant them into an open garden.
Once (and if) a plant gets used to heavy sun, it significantly helps growth and yield.

Your young growth looks healthy. Those leaves are hardening now in the partial shade of the larger leaves. Your plant should be fine.

Thanks is for the help and advise everyone, time will tell!

Back