Hello!

skyblue67

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I am a homebrewer from Manchester, UK. I've been brewing for about 2 years using BIAB, previously I used kits and extract. I also grow my own hops and pick wild ones near me so any fresh hop recipes or tips would be welcome.

Welcome. I'd do a SMaSH beer with them hops that way you get an idea of bitterness flavour and aroma without complicating it with other hops.

Lucky to have wild hops growing near by any hop should be a good hop right? Probably an old hop veriety too eh?

Welcome. I'd do a SMaSH beer with them hops that way you get an idea of bitterness flavour and aroma without complicating it with other hops.

Lucky to have wild hops growing near by any hop should be a good hop right? Probably an old hop veriety too eh?

I grow First Gold, which is a dwarf variety, only about 2.5m high. The wild hops are 4-5m high growing up through trees and undergrowth so may be a bit difficult to harvest! I dug up some rhizomes in March so they're now growing in mine and fellow homebrewers gardens. We don't know the variety but we're going to assume Goldings.

Welcome , lucky to have wild hops growing nearby .
Will be hit and miss trying to use them since the AA% will be a simply a guess but using pellets / flowers with a known level will get you the correct IBU and use wild for late / dry hops additions and it'll be a winner

I've heard/read that hops are dangerous to dogs. I'd love to grow hops, but worry about the dogs. If this is true, any tips or tricks?

Back