Perhaps an idea in case y ou loose too much water during boiling..

My bottles are rinsed after use, dishwashered, rinsed and then sterilised. This should be ok right?
Sounds like you've got a reasonable regimen, but like jmcnamara says, I'd avoid the dishwasher soap just out of an abundance of caution. If you need to get stuff out of bottles or anything else, use PBW. For pots I use Barkeepers Friend powder and for anything glass or plastic, I use the PBW soak and then sanitize with Star San or One Step.
You'll come up with a good bottling process. We're all overly cautious at first but it makes for good brewing habits.
;)

I remember handing a friend an infected bottle while everyone else got good ones , he swore on the spot to never drink another homebrew and didn't for 6 months at least .
My QA methods are better now though

For what it's worth, I haven't experienced oxidation when bottling. Maybe I don't leave the beer around long enough to develop that flavor though...
I've never put bottles in the dishwasher, and I don't use dish soap on them (other than to get the labels off), so couldn't help there. However, it sounds like you're rinsing them off enough to me
Good luck!
Been bottling since I've been brewing and, like JC, haven't had a problem with oxidation in bottling. And I do leave the bottles around for a while - I have some beers pushing three years old. I wouldn't say never put bottles in the dishwasher, it's a great way to sanitize clean bottles, but never wash them there - the rinse aid is tough to get off and will destroy the beer's head, not to mention you can't get enough water in there using the dishwasher to ensure the bottles are clean.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Will use a bottling bucket to improve mixing of possible layers in the primary and better mix in priming solution. As for the bottles, will probably brush them out with boiled water, stick them in the dishwasher without detergent for sterilising and then sterilise prior to bottling as a precaution.
Will post results of improved regimen in a few weeks.

You don't mention how you're sterilizing, but you should be using something like One-Step or other no-rinse sanitizer. Easy to keep mixed up and very simple to use.
My bottle sterilising just prior to bottling is with my no-rinse steriliser fluid. I spray inside the bottles a good few times then let the fluid drain while rotating the bottles so the necks are sterilised too.
I'm using a white powder I buy from a Japanese homebrew supply shop. It says 'kitchen bleach'. But, also that it is no-rinse. So, I'm sure its not chlorine based. I dilute it and use it as a spray. It is odourless and pretty clear. It's brandless, sold in a zipper pack with their own label on. Sorry can't be more specific. I haven't had any infections and have used the stuff a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
My bottle sterilising just prior to bottling is with my no-rinse steriliser fluid. I spray inside the bottles a good few times then let the fluid drain while rotating the bottles so the necks are sterilised too.
I'm using a white powder I buy from a Japanese homebrew supply shop. It says 'kitchen bleach'. But, also that it is no-rinse. So, I'm sure its not chlorine based. I dilute it and use it as a spray. It is odourless and pretty clear. It's brandless, sold in a zipper pack with their own label on. Sorry can't be more specific. I haven't had any infections and have used the stuff a lot.
My process as well is to spray the inside of the bottles using Star-San. I tried the non-foaming stuff but started to get some hints of infection and went back to my original process. Their "kitchen bleach" is likely an oxygen product - percarbonate or something similar. I'd rinse it, it breaks down to oxygen and carbonate and the carbonate can form condensation nuclei resulting in gushers if you use it in bottles or kegs. In the States, think Oxyclean. It's a great cleaner but more suitable for a soak than for a spray bottle.

My process as well is to spray the inside of the bottles using Star-San. I tried the non-foaming stuff but started to get some hints of infection and went back to my original process. Their "kitchen bleach" is likely an oxygen product - percarbonate or something similar. I'd rinse it, it breaks down to oxygen and carbonate and the carbonate can form condensation nuclei resulting in gushers if you use it in bottles or kegs. In the States, think Oxyclean. It's a great cleaner but more suitable for a soak than for a spray bottle.
Thanks for the tips. You're probably right about it being Oxyclean. My problem is that the Land of the Rising Sun is not a great place for buying supplies. So, this is my only realistic steriliser option. When you say rinse, i take it you mean with pre boiled water. May need two spray bottles then.

Tap water. At least that's how I rinse my dish soap and bleach (Egad! Are you crazy? You can't use dish soap, it'll prevent head retention!!) off of my equipment. (I don't use bleach in my kegs though. I use OneStep, so essentially what you're doing. I dump, no rinse.)

Hey whatever gets you from a-b or grain to Glass as long as your happy with the results that's what counts in my opinion.:)

I just make sure I wash the sediment out of my bottle after I pour. I then just have a bucket of starsan I soak them in a couple of hours before bottling. I also soak the caps in starsan.

Back