Heres a first for this guy

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
2017-07-10 21.43.06.png

Hey everyone, 2 row only with saaz, experiment. Pitched 160B cells on wort at 72F of pilsner least, 2007.
Pic taken 4 hours later, temp down to 60 and dropping.

None see this before ?

Edit, 2007 WYeast Pilsner Lager

How it is coagulated and floating is not something I noticed in the past.

Also chilled with counter flow chiller, boiling to 75F in one pass straight to fermenter, no Whirlpool or trub seperation efforts.

Perhaps that's just proteins / trub that hasn't yet settled ? Wort is super clear, excited about that. Only being 4 hours the yeast may not have kicked in yet, not worried about that, yet lol!

Its an alien ....only logical explanation really .
I suggest once fermented you send it to me for proper disposal ,I will try at least to return it unless your alien lays eggs in my brain ......
See the risks I endure to help a fellow brewer out

Hahaha what the!!:eek: i thought that might be some muslin cloath with the Sazz in it at first but it ainto_O?

Is that where that loaf of bread went lol.

Its an alien ....only logical explanation really .
I suggest once fermented you send it to me for proper disposal ,I will try at least to return it unless your alien lays eggs in my brain ......
See the risks I endure to help a fellow brewer out
It's protein, trub. When I chill the heck out of my wort in the kettle and don't disturb it, I get the same effect. Of course, if you have alien flies laying eggs in your wort down there where the toilets flush backward, I can't account for that....

Looks like you nailed your mash pH.

Mark, you are in it for the cause if thats aliens ! Hahah

Yup no muslin cloth, that all went through the pump. This the the second time through my new cbiller, first time I chilled as I recirculated and whirlpooled. This time was element off to 5.5 gal in fermenter in 17 mins at 75F.

I actually chased my pH a little on this one, didn't account for 5.5 gal batch instead of the 7 or 10 gal I had done previously, whoops. All the same it was 5.1 to 5.6 the whole mash...

Can you elaborate to this any further ? Curious of how exactly aliens made you think of pH.

Thanks!

@sn00ky looks like plenty of convection going on in there Sn00k. I can't really see what's going on inside the fermenter as I ferment in an opaque bucket closest I come is staring at the Krausen on top.

I would be staring at the fermentor or day but if it was clear so maybe a good thing.
Glad she's rockin on for you will be a tasty brew I'm a week ahead of ya on my Pilsner.

Definitely the clearest wort I have pitched on, but in all fairness I don't usually look for clarity at that time lol.

Anyone got comments on the base malt only with pil yeast? Just a last minute taste experiment

Definitely the clearest wort I have pitched on, but in all fairness I don't usually look for clarity at that time lol.

Anyone got comments on the base malt only with pil yeast? Just a last minute taste experiment
Hmmm, base malt with pils yeast? Throw in noble hops and it sounds like a Helles to me, or a Pilsner, or even a Dortmunder, depending on how you handle the water.... My Helles is in the fermentor churning away as we speak.

It was just the alienness of that protein combined with someone's notion of aliens. My comment on pH was based on that wonderfully dense mass of cold break protein in the fermentor - you generally only get it that good if you get the mash pH right.

Well your pale malt is not far off pils malt anyhow by what I've learned so far in my short all grain brewing journey. It'll be a tad darker than standard Pilsner but I've not done a pale ale base Pilsner or helles whatever you want to call it. But I'm leaning more towards pils with the sazz and Pilsner largero_O.

I'm brewing a similar beer with straight 4kg bohemian floor malted Pilsner single decocted with sazz at FWH 20min and flameout with standard 34/70 last brew got the tick of approval this time I'm hoping the decocting adds that something extra as well as the late sazz addition.

I look forward to hearing how she turns out.

Sounds very similar to the recipe I used for Stella ish clone. Except the docotion, and I used German lager yeast, 830 I think

I'll tell mine if you tell yours ! Lol

Sounds very similar to the recipe I used for Stella ish clone. Except the docotion, and I used German lager yeast, 830 I think

I'll tell mine if you tell yours ! Lol
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/468792/bohemian-pilsner

I think WLP830 is a similar strain to 34/70 fermentis dry yeast. Weihenstephan yeast strain I'm sure it is please correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes:. Maybe I'm getting it confused with carlsburg straino_O.

Anyhow there's me pils recipie up top pretty simpls. it needed something extra on that recipie so I tried decocting this mash and more sazz for aroma. I have fermented colder this time round 10c opposed to 12c last time not sure if that will make a difference prob not.

I'll try some melanoidin or Carahell next if I'm not happy with it.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/468792/bohemian-pilsner

I think WLP830 is a similar strain to 34/70 fermentis dry yeast. Weihenstephan yeast strain I'm sure it is please correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes:. Maybe I'm getting it confused with carlsburg straino_O.

Anyhow there's me pils recipie up top pretty simpls. it needed something extra on that recipie so I tried decocting this mash and more sazz for aroma. I have fermented colder this time round 10c opposed to 12c last time not sure if that will make a difference prob not.

I'll try some melanoidin or Carahell next if I'm not happy with it.
If I remember correctly, 34/70 IS the dry version of Weihenstephan. Of course, it's not exactly what they use in their brewhouse.

The difference between a Pils, a Helles and an Export Helles is water, ranging from soft to hard. And hopping - the Export and Pils tend to have more hops than the Helles.

Yup, proud indeed!

I started brewing in all grain, did some research and did my first all grain batch with this recipe (3 brews total now ).
I seen no harm in having it there, especially if I was in better chance than having stuck sparge.
Oddly enough, it is still in my recipe since i haven't had to remove it, and the last time I brewed the recipe was first time running through Herms and figured no harm once again , hoping it would prevent vacuum ish on the grain.

That said, I would have no problems brewing without it in the future...

Update:
No reading yet but suspect near end of fermentation, Krause starting to drop. I have brought temp up to 70 for a rest.
The Krausen sure does look different to me, but then again I never usually get a clear look at it from the side like this...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2017-07-15 08.06.42.jpg
    2017-07-15 08.06.42.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 2017-07-15 08.07.03.jpg
    2017-07-15 08.07.03.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 159
Looks like the yeast are starting to flock out. Heck that wort still looks pretty clear this side of fermentation. A day or to at 70 F then I'd crash her that I'm sure will drop them protine snotts out:).

Heads up on my pils it's been at 19c for last 4 days it's tasting good it's at 1.011 79% attenuation I'll start ramping down this arvo to cold crash then Finn with geletin and transfer over to conditioning keg.

Back