Fermentable info for Lyle's Golden Syrup?

You gotta make your recipe public if you want others to see it.

For products like this you should find the nutrition information on the label or online. It's cane syrup so you can just use that in the recipe calculator or you can make a custom fermentable using the same values as cane syrup.

Last edited:
corn syrup is really very close, I wouldn't go crazy over it its not that much of a change and honestly your spending way too much just use table sugar, it will do the same thing

Reactions: J A
I _think_ the recipe is shared now.

I agree that the treacle is probably not necessarily distinct ingredient over other sugars but it is part of the story.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Recipes or methods don't have to make sense. We're all guilty of doing something unnecessary in brewing. Brew on!

And yes, I can see the recipe now.

It may add a little touch of flavor but mostly it'll completely ferment out and leave a slightly dryer finish to the beer. Not going to hurt a thing. You could use just about any syrup and achieve the same outcome, but honey, maple syrup, corn syrup will all make for subtle differences in flavor.
Good luck with it. ;)

I'd like to get something off my chest, and this is the perfect thread for it. There is something going on here that has bothered me for a long time. It's also the same reason that I don't join my local homebrew club. I know this is going to upset some people, but I want to say it as politely as possible. And I'll certainly accept any and all polite responses and rebuttals.

The OP's first post here is to ask how to account for a specific ingredient in the software. The first response to his question was a valid answer, in my opinion of course. The next response had a good answer, but also included that the OP is wasting his money, and he should substitute something else instead. Even after the OP explained that that particular ingredient was special to him, another reply with more substitutions for that ingredient was made. Why are questions that aren't asked answered? For all we know, the OP's grand dad invented Lyle's Golden Syrup. No way will he use cane sugar, honey, or anything else. I've had the same thing happen to me here as well. I asked one question, was told my train of thought was pointless, and I should use another method instead. I never did get the answer or advice to my question, and the thread was ultimately deleted.

Overall I do enjoy this forum. Members here provide some very useful information. I just wish that people who answer don't assume that someone who asks a question doesn't even know enough to be asking the right questions.

Hopefully I haven't offended members by speaking my mind. Like I said, this issue has been on my mind for a while.

Well, you won't go down alone Jeffpn as I am of the same opinion. Don't get me wrong, additional information like, you could use honey or maple syrup are great suggestions if someone is asking for alternatives. That being said... I have nothing for the OP (newb brewer myself) and apologize for another post that doesn't answer their question.

Ps. I love the forum!

I'd like to get something off my chest, and this is the perfect thread for it. There is something going on here that has bothered me for a long time. It's also the same reason that I don't join my local homebrew club. I know this is going to upset some people, but I want to say it as politely as possible. And I'll certainly accept any and all polite responses and rebuttals.

The OP's first post here is to ask how to account for a specific ingredient in the software. The first response to his question was a valid answer, in my opinion of course. The next response had a good answer, but also included that the OP is wasting his money, and he should substitute something else instead. Even after the OP explained that that particular ingredient was special to him, another reply with more substitutions for that ingredient was made. Why are questions that aren't asked answered? For all we know, the OP's grand dad invented Lyle's Golden Syrup. No way will he use cane sugar, honey, or anything else. I've had the same thing happen to me here as well. I asked one question, was told my train of thought was pointless, and I should use another method instead. I never did get the answer or advice to my question, and the thread was ultimately deleted.

Overall I do enjoy this forum. Members here provide some very useful information. I just wish that people who answer don't assume that someone who asks a question doesn't even know enough to be asking the right questions.

Hopefully I haven't offended members by speaking my mind. Like I said, this issue has been on my mind for a while.
I'm not offended at all by your thoughts. At the same time I think it's not completely out of line to comment outside the original question.
That being said, I have posted some ideas, recipes and questions that the comments were to the point that they were poo-pooing the ideas without knowing much beyond the little info given in the question/comment.

The worst was a on different forum where I shared a recipe that won a gold medal and the comments were more about the techniques I used and how they were completely unnecessary. Even though I was and still am, convinced that it was the reason I won.

Other thing I hate is topic creep. Sorry to make it drift so far.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, additional information like, you could use honey or maple syrup are great suggestions if someone is asking for alternatives.
For the record I wasn't suggesting that the OP should consider alternatives but merely offering a note about how these different sugar adjuncts including his chosen ingredient might behave.
My apologies for offering unsolicited opinion. I'll be better aware of that in future. ;)

@JA.... certainly not picking on you (and apologize), just the first thing that came to mind (honey, maple syrup). I love the forums here and certainly am not interested in creating any problems. I simply agreed that sometimes the OP's question receives a ton of replies that drift away from a direct response. And, I might add that unlike other forums, the forums here are extremely helpful and friendly, just a little 'drifty' from the OP at times (not unlike other forums). The funny thing is that I tend to learn a lot from responses that may have nothing to do with the OP's question/request/etc.

Well, you won't go down alone Jeffpn as I am of the same opinion. Don't get me wrong, additional information like, you could use honey or maple syrup are great suggestions if someone is asking for alternatives. That being said... I have nothing for the OP (newb brewer myself) and apologize for another post that doesn't answer their question.

Ps. I love the forum!
I've started a few bunny trails but generally agree. My problem with a few of our newer contributors has been the absolute rightness of their answers. I can make invert syrup, Lyle's if you like, for pennies on the dollar. Not the OP's question, though. The answer was 40 ppg, give or take 3. He could dump Karo Syrup in a pan and brown. Again, not the question. The beauty of this site has always been not the chance to show what I know but to learn what you guys know. And, sometimes, helping a brother out.

@JA.... certainly not picking on you (and apologize), just the first thing that came to mind (honey, maple syrup).
No offense taken. All just part of the conversation. :)

Back