Dry yeast substitute

Benman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm brewing small batches and therefore use only dry yeast.
I'm looking for the dry sub for White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast.
I want to use it for brewing the Bells Two Hearted clone.
Anyone know what will work?

WLP-001 is the same strain (Chico) so it should give you about the same beer. Attenuation is listed as being slightly less for the 001. Unless you're just determined to use liquid, I'm not sure there's much advantage over the US-05.

Thank you J A,
I use dry yeast because of the price, i'm doing small batches and the liquid is very expensive as i don't know if and how i can save whats left. The dry yeast could be easily saved for a couple of weeks in the fridge. I normally use a pack for 3-4 one gallon batches.
I do 1-2 gallon batches every weekend.

Reactions: J A
Thank you J A,
I use dry yeast because of the price, i'm doing small batches and the liquid is very expensive as i don't know if and how i can save whats left. The dry yeast could be easily saved for a couple of weeks in the fridge. I normally use a pack for 3-4 one gallon batches.
I do 1-2 gallon batches every weekend.

I do small batches as well. I have started washing the yeast after fermentation is done. This has saved me a ton of money since I no longer have to buy yeast.

US-05 will working perfectly for that beer.

a couple of other are based on the same strain, not sure if they are as clean as WLP-001 but like above said US-05, BRY-97, M44 are all close

Thank you, that's gives more choices for finding the best match!
I'll defiantly try them all - thats the advantage of doing small batches!

I do small batches as well. I have started washing the yeast after fermentation is done. This has saved me a ton of money since I no longer have to buy yeast.

US-05 will working perfectly for that beer.

i'm new to it and reusing yeast is something i have on my list
how do you wash the yeast?
can you use the yeast for another recipe?

i'm new to it and reusing yeast is something i have on my list
how do you wash the yeast?
can you use the yeast for another recipe?

Couple of ways to do it.

1) If you make starters just make a bigger starter and pour some off into sterilized jar and put in fridge for later.

2) What I do is just leave a little bit of wort on top of the yeast cake after I have transferred. I swirl that all up and pour into sterilized jars and refrigerate. The yeast will separate from the liquid. On brew day I pull a jar out and let it get to room temp. When time to pitch I pour off the wort that was in the jar and just pour the jar into the fermentor.

One thing to note. I use a nylon paint when I pour my wort into the fermentor so it catches most of the trub. If you pour all of your trub in you may have to wash your yeast to separate out the trub. It isn't hard. Just a little more work. Youtube has several videos on the process of washing.

Couple of ways to do it.

1) If you make starters just make a bigger starter and pour some off into sterilized jar and put in fridge for later.

2) What I do is just leave a little bit of wort on top of the yeast cake after I have transferred. I swirl that all up and pour into sterilized jars and refrigerate. The yeast will separate from the liquid. On brew day I pull a jar out and let it get to room temp. When time to pitch I pour off the wort that was in the jar and just pour the jar into the fermentor.

One thing to note. I use a nylon paint when I pour my wort into the fermentor so it catches most of the trub. If you pour all of your trub in you may have to wash your yeast to separate out the trub. It isn't hard. Just a little more work. Youtube has several videos on the process of washing.

thanks a lot!
i'll try it this coming weekend

WLP090 sandieg:)o super yeast is supposed to be wlp001 on steroids as in ferments quicker and attenuates harder.

Im on my 6th generation with this yeast.

It is liquid yeast so a little more exy but learning to reuse yeast will solve that problem.:)

WLP090 sandieg:)o super yeast is supposed to be wlp001 on steroids as in ferments quicker and attenuates harder.

Im on my 6th generation with this yeast.

It is liquid yeast so a little more exy but learning to reuse yeast will solve that problem.:)

i guess learning to reuse the yeast is a key for using liquid yeast - Thank you!

Back