CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
This is fantastic

Attachments

• 20170616_160332_resized.jpg
    20170616_160332_resized.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 214
I am now comfortable with my low oxygen brewing methods, and my ability to brew a pilsner with really good results.

I feel it is time to break up the static nature of brewing one style of beer.

I am going to spend a little time thinking about what to brew.

Brew something with a bit more malt backbone in it like an Oktoberfest. Ive been thinking about brewing a nice amber malty lager for awhile now maybe i can put one together an inspire you;).

A malt lust munich lager:rolleyes:.. or ?

Half and half pilsner/ dark munich.

Or half Vienna/pils with some carabohimian for some extra maltiness .

It's getting to be close to that time to think about brewing an Oktoberfest so I've been working on a recipe that is somewhere in-between a darker traditional Ofest and the modern lighter style they serve in the tents now.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/392233/festbier
Looks like a lighter style fiest beer wobdee. How'd you come to settle on your percentages of Munich Vienna and Pilsen malt. I see most Ofest beers have a combination of these three malts in them. I went equal Vienna Munich dark and less Pilsen malt going by what I saw on the net. Looks like a pretty complex mash schedule too. I'm going to mash in the night before then ramp the mash up slowly to first mash rest @63. Looking forward to brewing this I love me a malty lager:p any lager for that matter with a good solid malt backbone.

Looks like a lighter style fiest beer wobdee. How'd you come to settle on your percentages of Munich Vienna and Pilsen malt. I see most Ofest beers have a combination of these three malts in them. I went equal Vienna Munich dark and less Pilsen malt going by what I saw on the net. Looks like a pretty complex mash schedule too. I'm going to mash in the night before then ramp the mash up slowly to first mash rest @63. Looking forward to brewing this I love me a malty lager:p any lager for that matter with a good solid malt backbone.

Yeah, probably more on the light side at 6 srm. I've thought about a more equal percentage but I feel the Munich flavor would drown out the others. I'm looking for something more bready toasty than that heavy Munich sweetness. My Marzen usually has more Munich in it, usually up to 50% along with some darker Caramunich.

Yeah, probably more on the light side at 6 srm. I've thought about a more equal percentage but I feel the Munich flavor would drown out the others. I'm looking for something more bready toasty than that heavy Munich sweetness. My Marzen usually has more Munich in it, usually up to 50% along with some darker Caramunich.

Like caramunich 3 ? I see caravienna in some recipes but homebrew store don't stock it here. I see caramunich 3 is around 60 lovibond but this caravienna is around 20 lovibond that's why I went caramunich 1 it's the lowest roasted at around the same colour. I wish my local HBS stocked some liquid larger yeasts but good old faithful 34/70 will win the day I'm sure fermented cool at 12c low diacetyl and low fruityness and I know it will let that malt shine nicely and attenuate well. I get average 80% with that yeast.

Looking forward to what Crunk comes up with .:)

Like caramunich 3 ? I see caravienna in some recipes but homebrew store don't stock it here. I see caramunich 3 is around 60 lovibond but this caravienna is around 20 lovibond that's why I went caramunich 1 it's the lowest roasted at around the same colour. I wish my local HBS stocked some liquid larger yeasts but good old faithful 34/70 will win the day I'm sure fermented cool at 12c low diacetyl and low fruityness and I know it will let that malt shine nicely and attenuate well. I get average 80% with that yeast.

Looking forward to what Crunk comes up with .:)

Yeah, caramunich 2 or 3, enough to target 9-10 SRM. I like to ferment cold at 8-9c for about 9 days then slowly drop temp down to lagering.

Ok yeah well maybe I'll go 10c I usually ramp up after five or so days or when I see fermentation is winding up to a diacetyl rest around 20c for a day or two then ramps down over a few days into low 0c -1c largering. I don't do traditional where I'll hold it there for a few weeks but. Usually hold it here for three or four days then keg carb for a week and enjoy. I must admit it does get better after a few weeks in the keg from there on if it lasts that long:cool:.

I think I've gotta get another freezer now :rolleyes: and call it the largering chamber where I can sit these German style brews under gas for a few weeks and still be able to use my other ferment freezer for other crafty creations.

What's your largering setup @wobdee? You have multiple chambers?

Back