First time for everything mmm...

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
... my ears still ring

I made an extract batch today. It was an after work brew day, and I wanted to shorten it up a bit. I rewrote a BIAB recipe of mine, and reduced the ending kettle volume from 6.5 gallons to 5.5. I decided to put every bit of the kettle into my fermenter, so that I can have a full keg at the end of the process, which involves a secondary. Quite a bit of hot and cold break, and trub. Should be interesting.

I've brewed a couple extracts recently because I've been frustrated with the 1.020 curse. I suspect a faulty thermometer that is reading a lower temperature than reality. I did just rack a BIAB, a Belgian Saison. It went from 1.060 to 1.000. I guess I identified my problem! I just got a lab thermometer as well. I'll try that on my next BIAB.

I'm tempted to do a no chill extract batch more often , will take longer to bring my urn up to temp than it will to everything else combined !
Get some kegs filled up quick chop chop

... my ears still ring

I made an extract batch today. It was an after work brew day, and I wanted to shorten it up a bit. I rewrote a BIAB recipe of mine, and reduced the ending kettle volume from 6.5 gallons to 5.5. I decided to put every bit of the kettle into my fermenter, so that I can have a full keg at the end of the process, which involves a secondary. Quite a bit of hot and cold break, and trub. Should be interesting.

I've brewed a couple extracts recently because I've been frustrated with the 1.020 curse. I suspect a faulty thermometer that is reading a lower temperature than reality. I did just rack a BIAB, a Belgian Saison. It went from 1.060 to 1.000. I guess I identified my problem! I just got a lab thermometer as well. I'll try that on my next BIAB.
How many are we talking about here jeffpn a couple in a row stalled? Man if that saison yeast stalled at .020 then I'd be really concerned :p. That's what I like about STC you can calibrate the temperature probe if it's out some. I stick a jar of water in there for the day next to the fermentor then stick my difgital thermometer in theire they read close enough not to bother.

Good luck mate nothing worse than getting some suspicion creaping into your brew regime :eek: like in brewing spirits there is the "Angles Share" well every now and again they get their fair share of beer.:)

I think I had 3 BIAB recipes stop at 1.020. Both ale and lager, but I forget which way. My ales are not temperature controlled. They sit in my 68° basement. I hope it's a mash temp issue due to a faulty thermometer. My 2 digital thermometers agree on 32° and 212°, but they differ by 3-4° In the 153° range. Weird.

try using dry yeast, yeast nutrient mixed with sugar, it works

Back