Irish Red, Inventory cleaner

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/501884/irish-red-in-prog

Started with a Kilkenny Clone, by Hipster (Thanks!). Got to looking, adjusted, seeing what' s on hand...decided to modify to help use up some grain that has been kicking around. Looking for feedback before I commit to it.

Aimed for:
Lower ABV - dropped 2 row
Using up golden promise in place of 2 row
Using up 60 entirely
Use 120 to adjust recipe
Lowered challenger 90 min to follow lower grain bill

Force carb to 2 volumes CO2, served Nitro (comments pls!)

Also, I intend on doing an experiment: Ferment main batch of 5.5 gal with Irish Ale Yeast, WLP004, separate out 2, 3/4 gal jugs and pitch Saflager - German Lager Yeast S-23, and Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04.

First time making any amount of changes to someone's recipe, certainly open to criticism.

Thanks in advance!

Looks good I just hope it turns out red enough:). Will be interesting to see what those other yeasts do to the wort especially the lager yeast compared to the Irish and English ale yeasts.

I couldn't help but go look and sure enough I was on a different color scale (EBC Morey). Your right, the color is lighter I just hadn't noticed. I adjusted the 120 a little more; what's your opinion on that? I am looking for that nice pretty red / copper hue, but not sure if I can achieve it given those ingredients. Also thought about throwing 1/4 # of roasted barley (500 LOV) for kicks...

I couldn't help but go look and sure enough I was on a different color scale (EBC Morey). Your right, the color is lighter I just hadn't noticed. I adjusted the 120 a little more; what's your opinion on that? I am looking for that nice pretty red / copper hue, but not sure if I can achieve it given those ingredients. Also thought about throwing 1/4 # of roasted barley (500 LOV) for kicks...
I havnt brewed a red ale yet but im sure a small amount of roasted barley will do the trick. Hopefuly someone with experience brewing this style can help.

upload_2017-6-12_22-41-54.png

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/390895/head-first-copper-king-red-ale
Just for ideas.

Actually that one came out quite malty but easy drinking. did an IPA with a batch of the same grains and it was very good. This will be brewed again next up with a red IPA beside it. Probably more bittering in the IPA this time. The color was what I was showing Snooky about it. I was trying for that copper red tone.

yeah caramunich is very malty, I have several recipes with it in darker beers just wondered, looks good I like using RedX grain for red beers

This is definitely not an Irish Red here way to malty not near crisp enough. Oo4 yeast would help but i think ya could drop the cara malts and color would be ok.

That color is nice, very much resembles an Original 16 Copper Ale, which I think is great.

When you say "definitely not an Irish red", by chance you referring to your example brew? Or my recipe?

That color is nice, very much resembles an Original 16 Copper Ale, which I think is great.
When you say "definitely not an Irish red", by chance you referring to your example brew? Or my recipe?

The recipe I posted. To much in it to be a crisp Irish red. Just wanted to show you an example of color with those malts. The Caramunich would add a bit of that color but most of it comes from the C-75 and a touch of Roasted Barley. I capped it with the Roasted after the mash in and as it recirculated the red copper color came out. C-60 with a little C-120 may work but would need some roast in there for the redish hue.IMO Brew On!

That's awesome that you recommend the roasted in the mash as I had just discovered people doing that in research yesterday. Maybe toss it on top when I start mash out ? Using Herms setup.
4 oz seems to add fair amount of color.
This is what "late addition" is for in the recipe editor I think, the numbers seem to make sense anyway .

Thanks !

That's awesome that you recommend the roasted in the mash as I had just discovered people doing that in research yesterday. Maybe toss it on top when I start mash out ? Using Herms setup.
4 oz seems to add fair amount of color.
This is what "late addition" is for in the recipe editor I think, the numbers seem to make sense anyway .

Thanks !
Yes that would work. I haven't done much capping but doing it that way should be more color and less astringency, burnt flavor.

Well I went for it, primary fermentation is done and looking / tasting good, got a sample chilling now. Color is very close to the picture from head first and the tiny bit I had left sitting after sg check was clear. I am very excited to see how it turns out !

Not the clearest pictures but here it is, darker than intended (as i realized on brew day) but thr roast barley at end of mash worked great, no roast or coffee flavors that i or a friend detect! Smooth and definitely a great fit on the nitro tap.

The lager sample that I fermented also has me satisfied. It feels lighter to drink, but carries much the same flavor to my palette, just less of it if that makes sense ? My descriptions are terrible lol. Also, the lager sample was force carbed in 2L PET.

2017-07-19 14.56.50.jpg
2017-07-19 14.58.05.jpg

Back