First Competion Results

SwishBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I entered my first comp a couple weeks back. A local craft brewery asked local homebrewers to brew their best beers and enter them for free, no limitations except that they had to be somewhat commercially viable as the winner gets to brew their beer at their brewery
I put in the American Amber Rye I made, as it was all I had on hand at the time.
I was pretty confident it would do well as I didn't think there were any noticeable flaws in it but I never expected the feedback I got.

This is the first review of the beer.

Screenshot 2017-06-07 at 00.08.31.png

10 of the beers entered has over 80 points, they got submitted to a second round.

Screenshot 2017-06-07 at 00.08.54.png

So the averaged it out and I got a score of 81.5. I came 7th out of 65
If they hadn't done the second round I would have come 2nd!!! F***** crazy!
3 Dark beers took 1, 2 and 3. I would have sworn a NEIPA was going to take it.

Anyway just thought I would share. 3 more comps coming up going to be entering them all.

Last edited:
Hey Brewers,

I entered my first comp a couple weeks back. A local craft brewery asked local homebrewers to brew their best beers and enter them for free, no limitations except that they had to be somewhat commercially viable as the winner gets to brew their beer at their brewery
I put in the American Amber Rye I made, as it was all I had on hand at the time.
I was pretty confident it would do well as I didn't think there were any noticeable flaws in it but I never expected the feedback I got.

This is the first review of the beer.

View attachment 1644

10 of the beers entered has over 80 points, they got submitted to a second round.

View attachment 1645

So the averaged it out and I got a score of 81.5. I came 7th out of 65
If they hadn't done the second round I would have come 2nd!!! F***** crazy!
3 Dark beers took 1, 2 and 3. I would have sworn a NEIPA was going to take it.

Anyway just thought I would share. 3 more comps coming up going to be entering them all.
That's awesome. I know when the local breweries here in the states have that type of contest, they avoid hoppy beers. They're afraid they won't be able to get their hands on the hops used in the recipe. Sometimes the home brewer can get their hands on some rare hop in small quanties, but to get enough to scale up to commercial size may be difficult or impossible sometimes.

I have never see a comp that uses 1-100 to score beers. I see 1-50 here. But anytime you score above a 40 (80 in your case), it's considered quite an accomplishment.

Congrats to you!

Congrats on those scores, I'm sure it was a great beer! I assume they were not using BJCP judges? The feedback from the judges was a little lacking.

Congrats on those scores, I'm sure it was a great beer! I assume they were not using BJCP judges? The feedback from the judges was a little lacking.

I have a feeling Brendan is, I think I saw a post on Facebook a few weeks back of him getting his certificate but I could be wrong. It wasn't sold as a BJCP comp so I was happy with any feedback.

That's awesome. I know when the local breweries here in the states have that type of contest, they avoid hoppy beers. They're afraid they won't be able to get their hands on the hops used in the recipe. Sometimes the home brewer can get their hands on some rare hop in small quanties, but to get enough to scale up to commercial size may be difficult or impossible sometimes.

I have never see a comp that uses 1-100 to score beers. I see 1-50 here. But anytime you score above a 40 (80 in your case), it's considered quite an accomplishment.

Congrats to you!

Yeah I'd believe that. When I was living in New Zealand last year I went to the LHBS to pick up some Chinook and they had none. Guy in the shop told me they forgot to put it on the ship so no Chinook would be arriving til next year!! Crazy!

Yeah I really don't know much about the scoring just that it worked out alright for me.

Cheers

I'll be stewarding at a comp here in August , all judges are BJCP but its not an official comp .

I should learn a few things if nothing else and will make sure to taste some of the entries with flaws noted to educate myself further

T
I'll be stewarding at a comp here in August , all judges are BJCP but its not an official comp .

I should learn a few things if nothing else and will make sure to taste some of the entries with flaws noted to educate myself further

That's a great idea. I am in the same boat as you this Sunday there is a comp here, I will make sure to do that as well when possible.

the best way to taste flaws is drink it worm, a good beer will not change its flavor

Back