Mistake during transfer

Edan Z

Trial Member
Reaction score
Made a pretty big rookie mistake with my first home brew. Beer was coming along nicely, 18 days into fermentation, I decided to transfer to second bucket, allow to resettle and bottle.

BUT, I transferred using the fermenter spigot and 1/2 inch tubing. I soon realized the 1/2 inch hose was not tight enough and I had no clamp on hand. Long story short, the beer got aerated during transfer to bottling bucket. I tried to control the flow by turning spigot down but the hose never got clear of bubbles and at times was down right rushing and bubbling down the tube. :oops:

First time doing this. Is the beer ruined?

It's a two gallon batch.

You shortened its shelf life but if you drink it quickly, you should be fine. Oxidation takes a while to happen. If you want to extend the shelf life as much as possible, bottle it quickly (the yeast will take up some of the oxygen during the carbonation process), store it cold once carbonated. That'll slow the oxidation.

Edan, let us know how it turned out. Nosybear's right, it'll take a while to oxidize. I did something similar on my first batch and it was fine for two or three weeks before going downhill. Still drinkable after a month but just not as good.

Should be fine. Like others mentioned it could affect shelf life. Two gallons should be drank up pretty quickly though.

If it is still fermenting, your yeast will eat up all the o2 pretty quickly, your beer is fine, shorter shelf live worst case scenario.

As the saying goes RDWHAHB. No ones first batch goes smoothly but you got to start somewhere.

Agree with Crunk. The yeast will eat up some of the oxy during carb. Agree with everyone else, don't sweat it.

I had a cracked auto-syphon tube years back and didn't notice how long it was like that. Just noticed it one day. No big deal really. Now I use fermenters with spigots. Love 'em.

My bazillionth batch doesn't always go smoothly. You just learn how significant the mistakes are and how to recover from them.
So true - I can make mistakes I've never even dreamed possible on a brew day!
It's all in the recovery........

So true - I can make mistakes I've never even dreamed possible on a brew day!
It's all in the recovery........
Yesterday I brewed a Pale Ale and missed my OG by 6 points. That's significant for me - I usually go over and have to dilute. Did my research (hint: always take good notes!) and found I'd accidentally listed Maris Otter LME instead of Maris Otter Pale for my main fermentable! So, sometimes the bazillionth and first batch doesn't go as smoothly as planned. Twelve ounces of DME and I was right back on course!

Hay if it all turns out better than expected- unintentionall mistakes may give rise to the next Nosey inspired comercial beer;).

Word again.

Got it serendipity!!! Maybe a name for my next beer:rolleyes:.

Is this what were talking about here or is it another metal metal moment and ive gotta lay off.the booze:p...
From Wikipedia
Serendipity means a "fortunate happenstance" or "pleasant surprise". The term was coined by Horace Walpole in 1754. In a letter he wrote to a friend, Walpole explained an unexpected discovery he had made by reference to a Persian fairy tale, The Three Princes of Serendip. The princes, he told his correspondent, were "always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of".

Back