Do you know the recipe?

SteveBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if you could help? I am on the hunt for a beer recipe: I drink this beer at the Bavarian Café in Sydney, Australia.

About the Beer

Tasting Note

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell is noted for its agreeable level of carbonation and its natural cloudiness. A cloudy, top-fermented ale brewed from 2/3 wheat malt and 1/3 barley malt, hops, Franziskaner’s own strain of yeast and pure spring water, according to a time-honored Bavarian recipe.

The aroma and palate are reminiscent of banana, passionfruit and vanilla, married with a distinct clove-like character, typical of this style. Zesty carbonation up front with a grainy wheat texture finishes light and satisfying.

@SteveBrew do they bottle this beer? That what you can get ahold of some of this Frankenstein yeast. So you've got the grainbill sorted 2/3 wheat to 1/3 barley. As Mark said how do you brew BIAB or 3 v system that way you can omit the needed rice hulls. Hops are a mystery on the description given but I'm gathering the hops are not at the forefront of this brew. The yeast is the main player. How about mouth feel is it light and refreshing or full bodied and filling?

Let us know how she shapes up Stevo;).

Basic Hefe recipe using WLP-351 yeast. Malt bill is straight forward, hopping is minimal. If you don't feel confident about making up a recipe, just post a little info about your system/process and I'll be happy to take a stab at it for you. :)

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help? I am on the hunt for a beer recipe: I drink this beer at the Bavarian Café in Sydney, Australia.

About the Beer

Tasting Note

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell is noted for its agreeable level of carbonation and its natural cloudiness. A cloudy, top-fermented ale brewed from 2/3 wheat malt and 1/3 barley malt, hops, Franziskaner’s own strain of yeast and pure spring water, according to a time-honored Bavarian recipe.

The aroma and palate are reminiscent of banana, passionfruit and vanilla, married with a distinct clove-like character, typical of this style. Zesty carbonation up front with a grainy wheat texture finishes light and satisfying.
Do a quick search on Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell. Their normal hefeweizen is rather dark (dark amber). There are clone recipes out there. Use a reputable source like BYO magazine or Zymurgy for the hint at how to get started. It's a pretty straight hefeweizen if I remember correctly, balanced toward clove rather than banana flavor. It'll be something like pilsner malt, wheat malt, munich malt fermented with hefeweizen yeast, cool side of the range, hops aren't really a factor in its flavor so something like Perle for a higher alpha acid content.

you've already got the basics of it right there mate , what process do you use to give us a bit more to help you

Hi Mark

Im totally new to the all grain brewing, i've been progressing through the can/kit world and experimented with creating my own worts from simple boil up on the stove top to fermentation.

Do a quick search on Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell. Their normal hefeweizen is rather dark (dark amber). There are clone recipes out there. Use a reputable source like BYO magazine or Zymurgy for the hint at how to get started. It's a pretty straight hefeweizen if I remember correctly, balanced toward clove rather than banana flavor. It'll be something like pilsner malt, wheat malt, munich malt fermented with hefeweizen yeast, cool side of the range, hops aren't really a factor in its flavor so something like Perle for a higher alpha acid content.

Thanks for the advice :)

@SteveBrew do they bottle this beer? That what you can get ahold of some of this Frankenstein yeast. So you've got the grainbill sorted 2/3 wheat to 1/3 barley. As Mark said how do you brew BIAB or 3 v system that way you can omit the needed rice hulls. Hops are a mystery on the description given but I'm gathering the hops are not at the forefront of this brew. The yeast is the main player. How about mouth feel is it light and refreshing or full bodied and filling?

Let us know how she shapes up Stevo;).

Thanks for the reply. Im new to all grain brewing, progressed through kits and can onto worts from the kitchen boils. The systems you mention are new terminology and something I don't know - BIAB or 3 system?
The mouthfeel is smooth, oily, zesty with extra carbonation and the aroma and palate are reminiscent of banana, passionfruit and vanilla, married with a distinct clove-like character, typical of this style. Zesty carbonation up front with a grainy wheat texture finishes light and satisfying.

Welcome to the Wormhole of Allgrain brewing I've no idea about this style mate not brewed a Hefe myself will put it on the brew bucket list. Sounds like you've got some great advise from Nosey do some research into the brew it's half the fun of brewing it I think. Cheers.

Are you planning on doing it as an all grain brew or extract based ?
Either way its not too difficult , Hefe is a yeast driven beer so yeast choice is imperative

Either way its not too difficult , Hefe is a yeast driven beer so yeast choice is imperative
So definitely liquid yeast or do you think there are some good dry yeast alternatives Mark just curious is all.

You won't like the beer as much with WB-06. It'll give you a less smooth flavor than the Bavarian strain, though it can deliver some of the spice and it will make a very good beer if you want to give it a try and keep things simple. A quick bit of research points to WLP-351 as a good choice for liquid yeast. Fermentation temperature is a big factor. For banana flavors higher temperatures and for more clove notes lower in the recommended range. There are things you can do in the mash to accentuate those spicy flavors as well.
There are a lot of clone recipes listed on the site here. This one is the most straight forward:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/196384/franziskaner-hefe-weisse-3-5g

You'll have to copy the recipe to get something you can edit and save and use the "scale" feature in the "Recipe Tools" tab to make it the size you want and adapt any water volumes to your system in terms of getting the right amount of wort into your fermenter. You can choose another yeast from the yeast list and you can change the hops to pellet and whatever variety you have access to (just remember to account for the AA % of the hops you actually use and keep the IBU values the same).
Simple BIAB with a dunk sparge will give you a very good start. You're making the right choice of style to venture into all-grain.
If your first batch doesn't turn out to be a perfect clone, you'll get a very nice beer and you'll be able to make some changes when you brew it again. Save your yeast culture and you'll be able to brew again and again.
Good luck! :)

If it's darker, the Lalemand Munich yeast is listed as a good one for dunkelweizens. And remember fermentation temps: Cool favors clove, warm favors banana.

This Hefe yeast must be ultra characterful to impart all them flavours into such a basic looking beer now you have me intreged with this brew there SteveBrew.

Checked my notes from before joining this site and i used Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen last time around , not sure how that compares to WLP 351 as White labs is unavailable in my area
I don't build starters for Hefe as a slight underpitch helps push banana flavours if fermented at 21-22 C with a little clove to round it out
Hop wise i used Perle as i still have over a pound of it

Back