Got a problem in the Water Treatment Calculator

monnet

Premium Member
Reaction score
Depending if I set the check box “Specify acid by target mash PH” to check. Or if I set the amount to the same number calculated I get a different result in the HCO value. Checked I get a HCO value of 264. When I specify the acid to the same amount calculated by the calculator I get a HCO value of 123. Nothing else is changed in the calculator. This can’t be right?

If specify acid is selected, I get recommended to use 14.93 ml lactic acid

upload_2017-5-29_23-3-3.png

Result:
upload_2017-5-29_23-4-23.png

But if I set the amount of acid to 15 ml, nothing else changed I get a different result in the HCO value?
upload_2017-5-29_23-6-12.png

upload_2017-5-29_23-6-25.png

upload_2017-5-29_23-8-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-29_23-5-1.png
    upload_2017-5-29_23-5-1.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 134
  • upload_2017-5-29_23-5-21.png
    upload_2017-5-29_23-5-21.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I noticed your acid percentage is entered as 80%, isn't lactic acid 88%?

I was wrong, someone here will help you I'm sure, as that was the only thing I noticed.

well first off this calculator only works off a recipe with grain involved, you create a recipe then click on the link to the water calculator and it pulls in the grain and subtracts what the grain produces, is that what you did ?

Yes i have specified the grains and amount and collor. I usually don't have a problem calculate the the water. But for som reason it dont work now, i will try and deleate this calculation and start over and se if it helps.

upload_2017-5-30_9-2-12.png upload_2017-5-30_9-3-0.png upload_2017-5-30_9-3-54.png upload_2017-5-30_9-5-2.png upload_2017-5-30_8-59-6.png upload_2017-5-30_9-6-14.png

I deleted the water calcultion, and created a new white the same numbers and this error occurs again

Last edited:
Yep it seems as though something is up you'd think It would display the same HCO value if it was displayed or not.

Not sure if this relates but i normally put half the amount of lactic thn brewer friend calls for to get to my 5.2 ph. Not sure why this is?

tanx jimmyz i think you are right about that.

I'did a competency calculation white Brun Water. and it sems that the check box “Specify acid by target mash PH” gives the wrong calculation and i think there's some kind of error when using the check box.

The brewersfriend calulator matched the Brun Water calulator wery well when the check box is not uset. Except a slight difference regarding the lactic acid.

upload_2017-5-30_21-16-52.png

upload_2017-5-30_21-17-23.png

Last edited:
I've found I only need to add 4 ml of 88% lactic to drop most my lite larger style brews to 5.3-5.4 ph I've got soft water though so I. Not sure if that why.

@monnet main thing is keep your ph meter handy calibrate it before mash then take a sample 10-15 min into start of mash cool it in freezer to calibrated temp for ph meter and match your actual ph reading to your brewersfriend predicted ph reading then you cAn adjust your future lactic amounts from there, savvy:rolleyes:.

I've found I only need to add 4 ml of 88% lactic to drop most my lite larger style brews to 5.3-5.4 ph I've got soft water though so I. Not sure if that why.

@monnet main thing is keep your ph meter handy calibrate it before mash then take a sample 10-15 min into start of mash cool it in freezer to calibrated temp for ph meter and match your actual ph reading to your brewersfriend predicted ph reading then you cAn adjust your future lactic amounts from there, savvy:rolleyes:.

What kind of ph meter are you using? Just curious- im looking but am not looking for a maintence nightmare.

I bought the Milwaukee MW101. I found it can go several months between calibrations, and only the electrode needs to be replaced when it degrades after a year. Downside is it takes ~5 minutes for a stable reading. In hindsight I wish I got the MW102 with ATC because the temperature dial makes the MW101 almost useless.

What kind of ph meter are you using? Just curious- im looking but am not looking for a maintence nightmare.
there ya go mate;) I got mine awhile back for 30$ I found the 6.8 ph is the calibration ph I've just ordered 20 or more satchets. It's served me well so far and I find the ph value of my mash isn't far off the predicted ph value brewersfriend puts up.

Well worth the investment that way your not flying blind.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 158
  • image.png
    image.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for the screenshot and details- we are working on this right now. I'll keep you informed of what we find, and when it's fixed.

Back