First hop extract brewing experiment

Single or multiple hop

• Single (Willamette)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multi (Willamette & Nugett)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
welcome to the site , first you need to share your recipe, in the edit mode, click recipe tools then share, click both

Welcome , if you're using the Coopers real ale can then you probably don't want to boil it .
Once you've got recipe public and show us what you're trying to achieve we can help you better

Ok the real ale can already has 37 IBU if mixed to 19 litres so there's a decent bitterness already
You can add a aroma/flavour hop boil to supplement it
I'd only use the .5 kg of dry malt in 5 litre boil with 20 g of the Willamette
Before boiling the hops i'd be doing the grain steep at about 65-70 C for 30 minutes in a clean bag , remove bag then bring to boil and add the hops , strain liquid into your fermenter and add other ingredients

By real ale can you mean this ?
real-ale-_-glass.1471327990.jpg

You can also dry hop if you like , should come out a tasty beer

Run the can under hot tap water and soak in the sink to help get all the goo out , add it the the fermenter and fill can with fresh boiled water and stir to help get it all out

Good luck mate

Whoops ....that's a 20 minute boil on the hops
Brings total IBU to just under 42 (Tinseth )

Would suggest rehydration of the yeast as well

Ok the real ale can already has 37 IBU if mixed to 19 litres so there's a decent bitterness already
You can add a aroma/flavour hop boil to supplement it
I'd only use the .5 kg of dry malt in 5 litre boil with 20 g of the Willamette
Before boiling the hops i'd be doing the grain steep at about 65-70 C for 30 minutes in a clean bag , remove bag then bring to boil and add the hops , strain liquid into your fermenter and add other ingredients

By real ale can you mean this ?
real-ale-_-glass.1471327990.jpg

You can also dry hop if you like , should come out a tasty beer

Run the can under hot tap water and soak in the sink to help get all the goo out , add it the the fermenter and fill can with fresh boiled water and stir to help get it all out

Good luck mate

Thanks for the quick reply. And for very helpful comments :) cant wait to start brewing.

Now after 2weeks no action in my beer :( nonfoam on top, transfered to a second fermenter. I think its the yeast i used. Mangroves empire ale.
Gonna do same batch again with west coast yeast or safale us 05

Went from 1.045 to 1.025 in 15days

Any ideas to save the batch?

Gravity only got to 1.025 ?
I assume you let sample stand to get rid of bubbles ?
Something happened if it dropped 20+ points .
What has your temp been sitting at ?

Shared. And thanks
So no boil for extract
Huh? No boil? You can get away with fifteen minutes for an extract brew but you have to pasteurize your wort and isomerize your hops! FWH with extract is easy: Mix up your wort, add hops, let stand for a while, boil. 1.025 is definitely NOT done. How long has it been at 1.025? If it's over a few days, make up a starter - don't let it floc out, you want to pitch it at about 24 hours so the yeast are very active - of the same or your favorite neutral yeast and dump it in, starter beer and all. That should clean up the rest of the sugar.

Hey.

First time i check gravity was 3days after brew and assumed it was fermenting but guess not. So i would say it fermentation died down around 4th day. Or yeast hibernated.
I was using brewing cooler bag so i could the beer temp 19-20+

My thermometer broke so i couldnt check my temp without opening fermenter.

Now after 2weeks no action in my beer :( nonfoam on top, transfered to a second fermenter. I think its the yeast i used. Mangroves empire ale.
Gonna do same batch again with west coast yeast or safale us 05

Went from 1.045 to 1.025 in 15days

Any ideas to save the batch?
It's obviously moved. I have used Empire yeast in a couple of brews and to be honest won't be using again,both times it was quite a way short of the expected FG.

yup, have to try a similar batch with safale us05 or mangrove m44

Did a cider with mangrove yeast worked out fine, i wonder if i cloud use a cider yeast in a beer :D

Now that i transfered it to the 2nd fermenter i see signs of yeast activation.
Airlock action. Lets see what happens to the end result. Hopefully better gravity reading

Back