Yeast...dry vs smack paks

dave althouse

Trial Member
Reaction score
Is there a good reason to use one over the other? i have been brewing for a couple years now and have a couple times where the smack packs didn't seem to swell up and activate, and when adding those packs that don't swell the package tight to the wort i end up adding a pack of dry yeast after a few days of no fermentation. So I really need to know if one type is any better than the other. I plan on researching a bit, but I will put this out there for comments.....would you use a smack pack or dry yeast...why?

thanks

davea

I use mostly dry yeast. I have only a couple recipes I'll use a premium yeast. Kolsch yeast isn't available dry, at least where I buy. I had a slow smack pack once. I didn't add any more yeast. It eventually fermented. It finally showed signs around 5 days or so. It was a lager, so the cooler temperatures keep things calmer.

There are pros and cons to each
Dry yeast is cheaper and has a longer shelf life and also has more cells per package than liquids do

Liquid has far greater variety for a start and the smack packs are a built in viability test and I find shorter lag times if I'm not making a starter

Dry yeast here as its only one available. I think german k 97 yeast is a suitable dry yeast alternative to liquid kolsch strain.

I see brulospher does a lot of side by side dry/liquid yeast exbeerments from what ive read there are differences with dry yeast clearing better in the 34/70 / wlp830 exbeerment.

Id always go a starter with any liquid yeast not only to check viability but also to increase cell count. I find that interesting Mark that you find lag time is less when you dont spin up a starter.

Reactions: J A
Have never tried a smack pack,have heard of some not mixing,if that is the right phrase. I use a fair amount of Gervin which i find dependable. Had some Crossmyloof(A Scottish brewing co) dried yeast's sent to me to try as a sample. Found the US Pale and Kolsch to be very good indeed,have some Belgian yeast to try out as well.
I re-hydrate all my yeast now.

After reading this thread I think dry yeast is the winner - I too prefer dry. US-05 and 04, Danstar Windsor and Nottingham. They are hard to beat unless using a starter with a wet yeast.

Depends on what you're trying to brew , there's not a dry yeast I would use in my house APA , some of the mangrove jacks dry strains would get close to 1272 though

1272 American ale II , great strain that suits APA / XPA or IPA

From second or third generation on it flocs even better and attenuates more

Back