Need recipe ideas for "clean" yeast-propagation batch

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I have some WLP041 that I want to build up a big cake to split. After fermentation, I intend to divide the trub into 3 or 4 portions, save one back for future use and use the others to do some 3-gallon hop-trial SMASH batches.

Yes, I could just make a big starter, but I really prefer being able to make something drinkable while I'm propagating. I figure I can make a lightly-hopped blonde that will avoid leaving other hop flavors in the cake - I don't want to interfere with the hops in the new SMASH batches.

Grain bill for the propagator batch shouldn't matter too much...probably a mix of Pilsner and Pale and maybe a little wheat or character malt, but no crystal. Most ale styles are going to be late hopped, but I'm thinking that I'll just use enough Magnum at 60 to make a decent lawn-mower beer - essentially a European lager-style beer with Cali ale yeast. I've got a lb of Crystal hops... maybe they'd be bland enough to be able to throw in a 10 minute addition without leaving too much flavor in the yeast cake. I've got a lot of other hops that might be neutral enough as well.

Thoughts?

So I have some WLP041 that I want to build up a big cake to split. After fermentation, I intend to divide the trub into 3 or 4 portions, save one back for future use and use the others to do some 3-gallon hop-trial SMASH batches.

Yes, I could just make a big starter, but I really prefer being able to make something drinkable while I'm propagating. I figure I can make a lightly-hopped blonde that will avoid leaving other hop flavors in the cake - I don't want to interfere with the hops in the new SMASH batches.

Grain bill for the propagator batch shouldn't matter too much...probably a mix of Pilsner and Pale and maybe a little wheat or character malt, but no crystal. Most ale styles are going to be late hopped, but I'm thinking that I'll just use enough Magnum at 60 to make a decent lawn-mower beer - essentially a European lager-style beer with Cali ale yeast. I've got a lb of Crystal hops... maybe they'd be bland enough to be able to throw in a 10 minute addition without leaving too much flavor in the yeast cake. I've got a lot of other hops that might be neutral enough as well.

Thoughts?
When I want to do a Quad, I do a blonde first to build up the yeast. As you mentioned, low hops, fairly low gravity, similar grain bill to the Quad... Put good, clean wort into the fermentor so you don't have any hop debris floating around - the trub doesn't matter so much. When I do this, I get a good, drinkable beer, in fact, I've used extract for the starter beer to good ends. Good luck with it!

Reactions: J A
in fact, I've used extract for the starter beer to good ends.

I did that last time I made a potable "starter" to build up the Belgian yeast I was using for a .060 Blonde/.072 Dubbel progressive brew. Only problem with that one is that the yeast was too assertive for the.038 starter batch and it wasn't particularly good drinking beer.
Extract is definitely an easy and effective way to go, but I have a couple of bags of malt on hand and mashing is ultimately way cheaper than buying extract.

Last edited:
Could you hold the hops until after the yeast is finished, and dry hop what you rack off the cake? That would avoid all interference with the SMASH tests.

Maybe a kettle sour to make up for the lack of hop bitterness? The small amount of residual lactic acid left with the yeast won't be noticeable in a 3 gallon batch.

Reactions: J A

Back