Lagunitas finishes selling out to Heineken

yeah, i had heard last year something about that, and decided to stop drinking it then. this was more or less a nail on a sealed coffin.
i don't begrudge them for the hard work and their reward, but i find something wrong with a global company buying their way into something that is, to me, by its very nature a local thing
getting a cheap pair of jeans or a can of coke is one thing, but don't mess with my beer :cool:

I think the quality of the beer will suffer now the big boys have come on board there will be substute for quality. Small time breweries who get bought out by the big breweries like Carlton United Breweries over here lose their small time quality touch on their beers. They end up tasting as bland as all the other watered down lifeless beers on the market.

what do you bet they get bought too
Who Carlton United Breweries? I think they already have some partnership going with your big American beverage company. I look at the way people are shopping for their groceries some love the convenience of getting everything at one large store but there has been a slow trend of some people going to farmers markets for their fruit and veg and small time local butchers for their meat. It equals better quality ingredients and you know where it's come from that it's not imported from let's say China where their farming practices aren't as quality controlled as ours in Aus.

Same with beer if people want a better quality more local product they will shop local. In the end it's education :)

Same with beer if people want a better quality more local product they will shop local.
So people who live in St. Louis, MO should buy Budweiser, right?

locally operated isn't the same as locally owned. or even locally sourced for that matter

Carlton are owned by InBev anyway via being part of the Fosters group , as bland as the product is they do still employ some damn fine brewers to produce gigalitres of consistently boring beer , they have supplied what the market wanted for many years so prospered .

Only 1 major brewer left here that's independant and family owned ....Coopers ! The brewery is only a few kms from my place so there's yet another reason to keep my money local and drink a decent ale

Much of the beer I buy comes from breweries where I can talk to the head brewer easily , local craft product here has improved exponentially in last 5 years
Even the head brewer and boss of Coopers is a very approachable and friendly guy once you get a few drinks in him

I love lgunitas IPA. In my opinion if the liquid suffers because of the "sale" then people wont buy it. The beer consuming public is not going to spend their money on crap beer especially at these prices.

Was.watching A chop and brew episode on dog fish head brewery yesterday evening now there is one great example of a reasonably large craft beer brewery keeping it real giving their brew crew the freedom to test and express themselves through their small pilot batch system.where co workers get together every week and have an.in house brew comperition where they throw all sorts og weird and wonderfull things into there brews. The winner gets his her recipe scalled up brewed and on tap at the bar.

That place really is great. We toured there a few months ago

Back