Lemondrop Hops

chub1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Never seen these for sale over here in the UK.A supplier i use has some 2016 hops in.
Guess you fellas in the States will be familiar with them.
Are they any good?
ta

I had a few ounces of 2015, but could never work them into my rotation. I donated them to my LHBS.

Lakefront brewing from Wisconsin brewed a SMaSH with them, and it was underwhelming. I've heard them described as a weaker cascade.

They might be nice in an English Summer Ale with a little wheat and sugar. Best of luck; let us know how they are!

I had a few ounces of 2015, but could never work them into my rotation. I donated them to my LHBS.

Lakefront brewing from Wisconsin brewed a SMaSH with them, and it was underwhelming. I've heard them described as a weaker cascade.

They might be nice in an English Summer Ale with a little wheat and sugar. Best of luck; let us know how they are!
Ok thanks for the info. Mmmmmmm might give em a miss then in that case. We have a hop called endeavour which is supposed to be our answer to cascade-No they aint,they are too weak!
cheers

I put that SMaSH into the "take to parties" beer box, but I'll dig one out tonight and have another go.

It was probably the beer rather than the hop that let me down.

I've used Lemon Drop in conjunction with Sorachi Ace on a couple of Saisons and have been extremely pleased. I did a table version for a party with an ounce of each and it turned out so well that I brewed a higher-OG batch with 3 ounces of LD. I think it's a relatively subtle hop aroma, but really unique and interesting and you really have to use a pretty good quantity to get to the good stuff with it.
I get definite crisp lemon, deep floral and noble hoppiness in the aroma. The flavor of these hops seems to go well with the savory herbal notes (dill-like) in the Sorachi Ace. In conjunction with the spicy-fruity notes from the T-58 Belgian yeast I used that hop combo gives really complex and interesting flavor profile. One of my favorite beers.

Golden Promise and Lemondrop SMaSH. I'm under direct orders from my wife and son not to run out of it through the summer. Good beer for mowing the lawn, you know what I mean?

Interesting comments thanks guys.I did like the sound of them.
Might have to re think it:confused::D

Great in Wits, too. I'm looking forward to trying it in a Saison.

Just drank the Lakefront SMaSH - very much like cascade in both aroma and flavor. Flavor has sort of a honey-lemon cough drop (in a good way). Almost a touch of that Willamette honey-flower flavor.

I plan on making a beer for the infirm, and I may use this hop for it.

Last edited:
Just drank the Lakefront SMaSH - very much like cascade in both aroma and flavor. Flavor has sort of a honey-lemon cough drop (in a good way). Almost a touch of that Willamette honey-flower flavor.

I plan on making a beer for the infirm, and I may use this hop for it.
Welllllllllllllllllll
i'm almost infirm:eek::Dso i will buy some:cool:

Golden Promise and Lemondrop SMaSH. I'm under direct orders from my wife and son not to run out of it through the summer. Good beer for mowing the lawn, you know what I mean?

This sounds pretty tasty. What yeast did you use?

It couldn't be any simpler. I brewed a summer ale last year that had lemon zest in it. It was a very good beer, but now I find it to be unnecessary!

I've used them in both an pale ale and IPA and was very happy with both. It's citrus but not just grapefruit.

Ok thanks for all the input.
Will certainly be ordering some up shortly:cool:

Turns out I don't have many summer ales I like. I'll be brewing the Lemondrop again this weekend.

Nothing like a new hop to get us brewing not that we need the excuse. So many new hops and so many old hops I haven't tried hard not to get overwhelmed :)

Back