Complex Red IPA

Looks great to me, but take that with a pinch of salt, I do like IPAs with a solid malt backbone.
The only thing I would do differently is to add the 5-minute addition at 1 minute or even at 0 minutes and similarly the dry hopping I would go with 3 or 2 days for dry hopping, I have never tested it but have heard and read that after 24 hours you are actually losing hop aroma, I really need to hurt down the article.

Edit : Found it (long version) - http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf

short version - https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/34093

also, I am assuming you want maximum flavour/aroma extraction from the hops and I may be wrong there.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually do want the most of the hops aroma in my beer ( in the limits of the equipment I have and use ). I am not very keen on dry hopping more than 5-7 days. I am however interested in trying new things/technics which can bring a little more flavout to the final beer. So maybe I will dry hop for like 3 days in the primary and then dry hop again in the keg or secondary, if the flavours are not there.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually do want the most of the hops aroma in my beer ( in the limits of the equipment I have and use ). I am not very keen on dry hopping more than 5-7 days. I am however interested in trying new things/technics which can bring a little more flavout to the final beer. So maybe I will dry hop for like 3 days in the primary and then dry hop again in the keg or secondary, if the flavours are not there.
So I'm no hop head or hoptastic pro but watching alchemist do a talk he joked around saying " I dry hop the heady topper no more than 5 days and no less than four". That gave me an idea of hop time

I find whirlpooling to be very effective in getting more hop flavour/aroma as well.
I cool it to 80c then add hops and continue cooling.
I will be checking my red tomorrow I can upload a picture so you can see what colour to expect.
I was aiming for SRM of around 11.

SRM 11, at least according to the calculator on this website, would be pretty light red. I aim for SRM around 17 and hoping it does not turn too amberish/brownish.

I am also very excited in brewing this and seeing how it turns out.

Last edited:
17 is a brown but if you pour to a narrow glass you could get some reddish refraction.

Comet in the dry hop produces a dank, wild fruity and grapefruit flavor and aroma. I find sometimes that citra and mosaic in the dry hop don't have enough acidic punch to balance themselves out. I am not familiar with AU35, so maybe it will help the balance.

300 g (10 oz) of dry hops sounds a bit much for 22 L (5.5 gallons), but if you have had success at that rate, may the church of lauter tun saints bless you.

SRM 11, at least according to the calculator on this website, would be pretty light red. I aim for SRM around 17 and hoping it does not turn too amberish/brownish.

I am also very excited in brewing this and seeing how it turns out.

This is my beer, it hasn't been crashed or fined yet but I took a reading this morning and put it in the fridge for a few hours and this is the colour I got, it is, for the most part, backlit from the sun so you can see the colour but it looks much darker inside and plus it is a skinny glass
20170427_135309.jpg 20170427_135314.jpg 20170427_135303.jpg

This is my beer, it hasn't been crashed or fined yet but I took a reading this morning and put it in the fridge for a few hours and this is the colour I got, it is, for the most part, backlit from the sun so you can see the colour but it looks much darker inside and plus it is a skinny glass
View attachment 1461 View attachment 1462 View attachment 1463

That is a mighty fine, red colour you have there. If that is 11 SRM , then mine will most likely be deep amber, which is not a tragedy, but I am actually aiming at something more bright and vivid.

So I should take it down a few SRM points.

That is a mighty fine, red colour you have there. If that is 11 SRM , then mine will most likely be deep amber, which is not a tragedy, but I am actually aiming at something more bright and vivid.

So I should take it down a few SRM points.
Again the sun, in hindsight, probably wasnt the best thing to show off the colour.
I was thinking when I saw the colour that I should really start asking the brew store the Lovibond of the grains I am getting, cause I little difference could make a big one in terms of colour.

Again the sun, in hindsight, probably wasnt the best thing to show off the colour.
I was thinking when I saw the colour that I should really start asking the brew store the Lovibond of the grains I am getting, cause I little difference could make a big one in terms of colour.
It should be on the speck sheat from your malt supplier

Do you buy all your malt in bulk?
I just give a list to the people at the LHBS and they give me the grain.
No way only bought one bag of malt that was late last year. No I mean for example if you used Carafa type 3 malt from wayermann you can look up their speck sheat online and find your specialty malt and find the lovibond of it. My Homebrew store lists a maltster speck sheet for all the malts they stock in their store on their website.

This way you know exactly what colour contributions your getting so takes out the guess work.

Back