Clean and sanitary

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
After every brew session, I wash my mash ton and boil kettle with soap and water, and then I run sanitizer water through the entire system, I do the same process in my fermentors. My stainless steel kegs I use pbw and then sanitizer.

Is this too much? Not enough?

After every brew session, I wash my mash ton and boil kettle with soap and water, and then I run sanitizer water through the entire system, I do the same process in my fermentors. My stainless steel kegs I use pbw and then sanitizer.

My mash tun doubles with my boil kettle so gets sterilized every brew day apart from external appendages like ball valve which i sterilize my pouring hot boiling wort trough it. But i clean and soak this every few brew days

Anything on the cool side of my brewing gets a soak in sodium percarbonate for 24 hours + then tripple rinsed hot to boiling water and then phosphoric acid rinse 2+ minutes then throw in wort ready for yeast;).

After a brew session, I'll just clean my mash tun and kettle with soap and hot water. Anything that touches these will either be boiled or is being boiled. I use soap and water to clean the fermentors after they are done and usually don't sanitize them until brew day. Seems much less than what you guys do but I haven't spoiled a batch yet *knock on wood*.

I wash my brew kettle after use with dish soap and water. It stays covered after it's dry. I grab it and go on my next brew day, no additional washing.

Brewing equipment:
We clean and sanitize everything from HLT to the boil kettle and everything in between with 1 Step (cleaning) and Star San (sanitizing) both before and after use

Fermenting equipment:
Cleaned and sanitized after and before each use.

The 3 piece valves are to be completely broke down and cleaned and sanitized every third brew

Anything hot side gets a good hot water clean. Fermentor etc get hot soapy water clean, heavy rinsing after use. Sometimes a sodium percarbonate soak if needed. Then hot water rinse / starsan sanitise before use.

Pre-boil stuff gets rinsed thoroughly after use and cleaned with Barkeeper's Friend as needed. I don't use dish soap on anything.
Everything post-boil gets rinse and scrubbed (brush for carboys, soft sponge or cloth for buckets) after use.
Before use on brew day, it gets soaked with PBW for at least a half hour and then sanitized with One Step or, lately, Star San. I run water through my pump after use and run PBW and sanitizer on brew day. I clear my chill plate with a hose after use and then run filtered water through it and on brew day I pump wort through it for the last 4-5 minutes of the boil.

My current throw together batch didn't recipe any yeasties until the next morning after my brew evening. I'll know how good my brew cleaning and sanitation is on this batch :p. It would of been scary if in the morning I awoke to a bubbling fermentor when I hadn't even pitched any yeast yet:eek: but that wasn't the case it smelled like wort tasted like wort and hopefully it will taste like BEER:cool:.

My current throw together batch didn't recipe any yeasties until the next morning after my brew evening. I'll know how good my brew cleaning and sanitation is on this batch :p. It would of been scary if in the morning I awoke to a bubbling fermentor when I hadn't even pitched any yeast yet:eek: but that wasn't the case it smelled like wort tasted like wort and hopefully it will taste like BEER:cool:.
My lagers always get cooled overnight (in the fridge) before I pitch - never had an issue yet ☺

It's a bit of overkill. The mash tun is contaminated with whatever hitchhikes in on the grain itself and the kettle gets everything in it boiled to death. Contamination on the hot side is generally not a problem, you're going to radically pasteurize anything that might be lurking in there. It's only after you chill the wort that you have to worry about sanitation. I'd keep everything clean but wouldn't use soap, in fact, soap is pretty much banned from my brewery due to head retention problems.

I'd keep everything clean but wouldn't use soap, in fact, soap is pretty much banned from my brewery due to head retention problems.
That could be why I don't have good head retention. But to me, it's just a visual problem. Dish soap is plentiful, so that's what I use. Not to mention that my wife is going to continue to use dish soap to wash my beer glasses.

I have one small bottle of organic (read unscented) dish soap in the brewery. It generally gets used if I need to wash my hands. Hot water, the occasional soak in generic PBW (much cheaper than the "real" stuff) and, for the kettle, a scrub with Barkeeper's Frend if something cooks on. That's about my cleaning regimin. Never let stuff dry on, use a good carboy brush or water jet, soak once in a while and everything stays good!

I have one small bottle of organic (read unscented) dish soap in the brewery. It generally gets used if I need to wash my hands. Hot water, the occasional soak in generic PBW (much cheaper than the "real" stuff) and, for the kettle, a scrub with Barkeeper's Frend if something cooks on. That's about my cleaning regimin. Never let stuff dry on, use a good carboy brush or water jet, soak once in a while and everything stays good!
2nd that as soon as fermentor is racked a quicksquirt with the hose and shes all good. I use the cleaning solution i was cleaning keg with and dump that in rinsed out fermentor that way get more out of my cleaner then.

I just recirculate my system with 180 degree + water then every so often an overnight soak with PBW but the fermenters get washed with dawn dishwashing detergent then thoroughly rinsed and aired, then star san just before use. No spigots to clean beyond hot side, just a racking cane. And kegs get scrubbed with hot water, then star san or idophor. And sometimes will use bleach:eek: to soak nasties out of glass carboys.

My lagers always get cooled overnight (in the fridge) before I pitch - never had an issue yet ☺
Last night (very late) I ice-bathed a Kolsch and it was down to 70-ish within a couple of hours so I pitched it and added more ice to the water bath to drop down to what I thought would probably equalize at 60F. Got up this morning and it was holding at 58F and starting to Krausen. That's an exception to the routine, though. I can get to about 80F using a chill plate and water hose so every brew sits in the fermenter for 12 hours or so to get to pitch. So far no problem.

I regularly put the lid on tight and add mine to the freezer to go from 80 to 60, ive forgot it before and the top froze but ended up fine the next day, beer was great

Im a goody two shoes:D
I wash out my FV's,bottles etc etc as soon as they are emptied,have been adding some Milton fluid to the water and allowing things to stand for 15 mins then re rinsing and drying.

Back