Throw together Ale

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday all throwing together some scraps from the bottom of the brew barrel into a recipe for an ale. Any alteration advice appreciated I know this ain't gunna be a Stella beer but I'm sure plenty drinkable fingers crossed.

Here's the recipe below cheers for any advice I'm brewing this in the next hour or so. So any advice needed before I start milling please;)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/480714/throw-together-ale

Id like to throw a lager yeast at it but haven't got any cultured up ATM. The sugar is to up the fermentables but the Munich and Vienna should give plenty of malt character. Cheers I'll go light the kettle :D.

Just throw in a dry pack of 34/70 and let er rip!!

Just throw in a dry pack of 34/70 and let er rip!!
Yea no hombrew stores are open today :oops:. So what I'm looking at doing is chilling down some wort 10 mins in and getting that spinning then pitching this later on tonight or tomorrow morning.

ale yeast are fine, ive had better luck with ale than lager, lager is over rated in opinion

@jeffpn .You just gave me a lightbulb moment tho jeffpn I could spin some 34/70 up and ferment this at 18c ale temp therefore yeast population won't need to be as high at pitching time. Whatdaya think good or bad idea?o_O

I'm sure it'd work. I use 34/70 for most of my lagers. Ferm temp 12.8°C, dry pitched.

Well she's all mashed in hit the 65c smack bang on the mark doing a full no sparge brew today just lift the grain bag and let her drain. This way cut down on things to do:D. I'm gunna go with the coopers ale yeast I've worked hard culturing them up from the bottles so might as well let them yeasties loose in this throw together recipe plus it will be more to the ordinary bitter style

Ph check. it was 5.7 added 2ml lactic to hit 5.3ph love that stuff

Attachments

• 20170417_124115.jpg
    20170417_124115.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 109
Another change from raw sugar to brown sugar might as well get some minute flavour contributions from this will add at start of boil for extra melanoidin flavours it's going to be Amber anyhow so might as well add to the complexity.

your culture and fridge will be slightly different to mine , should just be apples mate .
How'd yours go last time on trying to escape the FV ?

your culture and fridge will be slightly different to mine , should just be apples mate .
How'd yours go last time on trying to escape the FV ?
Not a crazy krausen 2 inches. But it fermented clean and attenuated well 80% which is what ive got this brew set at. It went bonkers at the start ten really slowed the last 4 points finnishing at 1.010 maybe pitch rate issue? But thats what my fg was set at. As for this brew its set at 1.006 we will see if it gets down that far but im expecting 1.008 ish

Look at the wort color so far it nay turn into a brown ale yet

Attachments

• 20170417_143138.jpg
    20170417_143138.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 87
Not a crazy krausen 2 inches. But it fermented clean and attenuated well 80% which is what ive got this brew set at. It went bonkers at the start ten really slowed the last 4 points finnishing at 1.010 maybe pitch rate issue? But thats what my fg was set at. As for this brew its set at 1.006 we will see if it gets down that far but im expecting 1.008 ish

Same starter ? every generation fights harder than the one before , tricky yeast to live with after a few batches and takes a bit of jedi love to get the best of , my house strain now is a bloody monster !

Well will see how good it is I'm going to spin some up overnight and pitch in morning fingers crossed there will be enough yeasties there;)

1.030 so far pre boil should be around 1.040 post boil.

Attachments

• 20170417_145131.jpg
    20170417_145131.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Back