2nd BIAB - Honey Wheat

ChuckGViolin

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
For my 2nd BIAB, I'm doing a lighter beer. The yeast is Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3056 because they were out of American Wheat.

honeywheat.png

Looks interesting. I like what honey malt brings to a beer but be carefull it can overpower. Let us know how it turns out.

Looks the goods Chuck as for the honey malt youll know from this batch weather to go more less or leave it as is next time.

Probably better to use about half that much Honey Malt and then see if that's too much or too little. You're likely going to regret an entire half pound in a 3 gallon batch.
And you seriously won't need the Carapils at all when you have wheat in the grist.

Nice and simple, good start.

And you seriously won't need the Carapils at all when you have wheat in the grist.

Seconded. You could replace cpils with actual honey at flameout and not have to make other adjustments for desired gravity.

Are you using white wheat or red wheat? I'd recommend red if you have the option. White tends to be bready and I don't think that's a profile you want in a beer like this.

Do you know you like citra? This bill looks a little strong for me. You should already be getting some subtle lemon notes from the wheat and yeast. It's a little odd to be bittering with low AA saaz with late addition citra but there's nothing wrong with it.

That is plenty of honeymalt in 3 gal. If you like citra go for it. You may get some spicy saaz to background the citrus, interesting. Let us know how it comes out.

That is plenty of honeymalt in 3 gal.
Almost certainly too much... :)
Everybody's threshold is different, but it's likely to show its presence in a small batch even in additions of 2-4 ounces.

Thanks fellas. I'll probably cut the honey in half and take out the carpils altogether. Brewing it today!

My experience with floor malted bohemian Pilsner from wayermann is a destinct honey flavour I know it's way to late to change out grain bill even on availability but this malt will add to that honey flavour for sure.

Bottled this one today. A little darker than I was hoping for. Tasted great. Citra really comes through. The yeast really went to town. FG was 1.007 when I was expecting 1.011. Can't wait to try one. I know, patience...

Drank one of these today and it was pretty good despite being a little early. I would say the taste is like Blue Moon but if it were made with citra hops. The citrus is very present, but it's a very mild and smooth beer. Pretty much what I was going for. Can't wait to drink these in a week or two when they've conditioned long enough.

Drank one of these today and it was pretty good despite being a little early. I would say the taste is like Blue Moon but if it were made with citra hops. The citrus is very present, but it's a very mild and smooth beer. Pretty much what I was going for. Can't wait to drink these in a week or two when they've conditioned long enough.
What about the honey flavours any there?

Definietly some honey, but not overwhelming. The Citra overpowers the honey, but the beer is still very smooth. If I ordered an IPA and was served this, I would say it was very mild, almost too mild.

really those flavors contradict each other and don't play well together meaning hops and honey flavor, you either want to go one way or another, honey beers are generally malty or sweet and with little to no hop aroma, and the hops are usually a earthy or mellow type not a the ipa fruity flavor

Or use floral hops with honey malt over a light base like wheat beer.

I appreciate the comments. It's nice to know what the different ingredients do. As I do more and more brewing, I'm starting to enjoy getting away from what brews are supposed to be and what tastes good to me. :)

I appreciate the comments. It's nice to know what the different ingredients do. As I do more and more brewing, I'm starting to enjoy getting away from what brews are supposed to be and what tastes good to me. :)
Yup you're hooked now:p

nothing wrong with that I do the same thing, keep on brewing

Back