Cloning a beer recipe

Stephen P

Trial Member
Reaction score
A local brewer make an Imperial brown ale that I really enjoy. I would like to try and make something close. The only thing I could find to describe the bear is this.rich warm malt notes to awaken the senses. Dried plum, toasted malts and dark caramel tones finish with a spicy herbal hop flavor. I know it's around 7% 30 ibus and 32srm. This is my starting point.
8 gallon batch
16 lbs Maris Otter
1.25 chocolate malt
1.25 special b
1 caramunich
1 airomtic malt
1oz nugget @ 60
2ozs of hallertauer @5
Wyeast 1318
Any suggestions. Thanks

Dried plum, toasted malts and dark caramel tones finish with a spicy herbal hop flavor.
That describes Crystal 120, Victory and something like Saaz hops, though something like Fuggle is a pretty safe bet with a big brown. I doubt that you want that much Chocolate malt. Literally a few ounces will give you a soft roast note and a half pound will hold up to pretty big malt. Your Special B will give you some nice caramel notes but Special Roast may come closer to your toasty/caramel profile. Less is more until you figure out what things are doing what, especially with anything roasted.
This is extremely helpful:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart
Good luck! :)

Have you asked at the brewery or emailed them? lots of times they will share the recipe.
Good luck

Reactions: J A
Have you asked at the brewery or emailed them? lots of times they will share the recipe.
Good luck
I did email the brewer. He said he is willing to send it. But haven't heard back after sending him a 2nd email. He is really busy expanding and I don't want to be a pain in his a**.

I did email the brewer. He said he is willing to send it. But haven't heard back after sending him a 2nd email. He is really busy expanding and I don't want to be a pain in his a**.

Sounds like an excuse for a brewery road trip!

@Stephen P im gathering you've sampled plenty of these beers you want to clone? Probably an stupid question but sit down with that beer with pen and paper and get busy taking notes on flavour bitterness mouthfeel aroma ect ect this will help,you build a mental,picture of the beer and hopefully guide your grist and hop selection and mash temp yeast well that is a question for the brew house. Cheers

@Stephen P im gathering you've sampled plenty of these beers you want to clone? Probably an stupid question but sit down with that beer with pen and paper and get busy taking notes on flavour bitterness mouthfeel aroma ect ect this will help,you build a mental,picture of the beer and hopefully guide your grist and hop selection and mash temp yeast well that is a question for the brew house. Cheers
I have and that's recipe is what I've come up with for a recipe. I haven't tried to clone a recipe before. I am going to brew it soon and do a side by side.

Ive had my hand at cloning recipes for years and one thing to remember is even if you had all the ingredients and recipe right, 10 people could brew it just like you and they all would taste a little different, issues that could be hard to control to the newer brewers and can change are too thin too thick too sharp or dull finish, too fruity or not enough, all have to do with water additives and different fermentation temperatures or yeast so don't be too strict on your quest for cloning a beer, what ever you brew will taste good whether it's exactly like the beer you're cloning or not so have fun ;)

We did a clone thread earlier. Someone brought up a point of calling it an inspired beer rather than a cloned beer. OMB is right - it'll be good however it turns out.

Ive had my hand at cloning recipes for years and one thing to remember is even if you had all the ingredients and recipe right, 10 people could brew it just like you and they all would taste a little different, issues that could be hard to control to the newer brewers and can change are too thin too thick too sharp or dull finish, too fruity or not enough, all have to do with water additives and different fermentation temperatures or yeast so don't be too strict on your quest for cloning a beer, what ever you brew will taste good whether it's exactly like the beer you're cloning or not so have fun ;)
I'm not expecting to make the exact beer. Like you said it fun trying to get it close. I hoping to make a good beer close to the one that I enjoy. I tend to brew the same beer a few times making changes till I get it the way I want it. The recipe could go in a total different direction the the commercial beer.

So I brewed and kegged this batch. It came out great! It got some similarities to the beer I was trying to clone but not as close as I was hoping for. But I like it more than the beer I was trying to clone.

So I brewed and kegged this batch. It came out great! It got some similarities to the beer I was trying to clone but not as close as I was hoping for. But I like it more than the beer I was trying to clone.
I think beer tastes better when I have my own sweat in it! ;)

@Stephen P: How did you fair in chasing down this recipe? Did Mr. Larkin ever reply to you with a recipe answer? I am also from this local area and this beer is one of my favorites as well. I have tried once and made a good beer, but am readapting it to get closer. Maybe we can collaborate. I am also owner of a LHBS in your area if you are still in the state.

A local brewer make an Imperial brown ale that I really enjoy. I would like to try and make something close. The only thing I could find to describe the bear is this.rich warm malt notes to awaken the senses. Dried plum, toasted malts and dark caramel tones finish with a spicy herbal hop flavor. I know it's around 7% 30 ibus and 32srm. This is my starting point.
8 gallon batch
16 lbs Maris Otter
1.25 chocolate malt
1.25 special b
1 caramunich
1 airomtic malt
1oz nugget @ 60
2ozs of hallertauer @5
Wyeast 1318
Any suggestions. Thanks
@Stephen P: How did you fair in chasing down this recipe? Did Mr. Larkin ever reply to you with a recipe answer? I am also from this local area and this beer is one of my favorites as well. I have tried once and made a good beer, but am readapting it to get closer. Maybe we can collaborate. I am also owner of a LHBS in your area if you are still in the state.

Back