NEIPA Brew Session

RobertE

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewed today and the weather was perfect for a nice Spring IPA. Hoping to have this one by Easter. My recipe was developed and inspired from a number of other recipes in this style. I never tried this type of beer so I'm flying blind on this one. I'm quite happy with my overall efficiency at around 83%. Hoping this brew turns out great. I'm using my new homemade fermentation chamber for the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 271
Wow, 83% is great if you're doing BIAB! Been doing a bit of reading on NEIPA and figure I may try one out. My typical IPA's have been West coast style and end up hazy anyways from the amount of hops and lack of cold crashing/gelatin. Did you use oats or wheat? Post the recipe and let us know how it turns out!

Yea great job Robert I hit 73% on my last batch so thumbs up with the 83% man! Looks the goods nice and juicy coming out the kettle hopefully nice and juicy in the glass. Hope the NEIPA party is rocking in that Chamber soon:D.

Looks like a killer recipe but gotta ask about the acidulated malt. I've never used it before as I thought it was used in sours and really don't care for sour beer. Sour candy is great but not in my beer.

I use acidulated malt in nearly every brew , it doesn't impart a sour taste until you start using 4-5 %
in my case it's just to help bring mash pH down a little further into ideal range
Bottling my NEIPA this morning , think i went overboard with the late boil additions and no chill timing since it's most definitely a bitter beer but very very aromatic

First time using acidulated malt to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully it helped the mash pH.

Looks like a killer recipe but gotta ask about the acidulated malt. I've never used it before as I thought it was used in sours and really don't care for sour beer. Sour candy is great but not in my beer.
It's most often used for pH adjustment. Adds acidity and is allowed under the Reinheitsgebot.

Dry hop additions added today. Used almost 3 ounces total of citra, mosaic and galaxy.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 207
Not a big krausen on it eh robert? Must be that yeast strain. Looks plenty turbid though.

No, you're right. There is a ton of activity in the carboy. The top of the beer looks more like an effervescent soda than what I'm used to seeing. Could be the yeast strain or the "heavier" wort causing this. I used a pound each of flaked oats and wheat. One thing is for certain. The beer definitively looks like dirty dish water at this point. I imagine it will clear up somewhat once it's finished fermenting.

Not a big krausen on it eh robert? Must be that yeast strain. Looks plenty turbid though.
Took a sample today and gravity reading showed 1.020 and 70% attenuation. Not too shabby thus far on day four. Only nine more points to reach my FG for this recipe. Color is gorgeous, but the aroma is what really blew me away. Immediately got hit with peach nectar and orange zest. I can't wait to see what another hop charge will do. I couldn't believe what I was smelling. It was a dead ringer for a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

Attachments

• IMG_3286.JPG
    IMG_3286.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3287.JPG
    IMG_3287.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 191
Looks like carrot juice its that orange in the second photo.great stuff robert that looks like one tasty guzzler of a beer mate.

Interesting you should choose comet and Tahoma. An old variety and a fairly new variety of hops. They should go together well!

I'm brewing this beast today. Thanks for all the help to my yeast starter questions a few days back! Going for 1/2lb Comet and 1/2lb Tahoma before the beer hits the keg. Never worked with either hop, they are my new strains I'm growing this year. Citrus bomb? I'm thinking it should be all dank as the day is long.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/474028/comet-tahoma-dipa

Back