Double stout

chub1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Started this off 13 days ago just as an experiment hence the very small batch.Also got a second brew of 5 litres from the used grains by re mashing for 40 mins and adding more spray malt and boiling for 30 mins with different hops.
Will be bottling into 25cl and 330 ml bottles as it's going to be pretty strong stuff:D did 3.5 ltr mash for 60 mins and dunk sparged with 2.25 litres.
4 litre batch
460 grms irish pale malt
225 grms Brown malt
45 grms black malt
25 grms Oats
454 grms Liquid malt added at start of boil
210 grms Spray malt half added at start of boil,remainder at 15 mins
17 grms EKG 60 min
15 grm EKG 20 min
1/4 protofloc tablet 15 min
3 grm EKG aroma at 80c stand for 15 min.
1/2 pack of Gervin yeast re hydrated
OG 1.086
Expected FG 1.020/22
ABV around 9%
Tested today at 1.022 and still bubbling a tad so more fermentation to go yet:). A taster from the trial jar was pretty good.:cool:

The second brew that i got from this is pretty well done.Will be around 3.5% or thereabouts,reasonably dark,not overly so however,lightly hopped so may well pass as a darkish mild ale.
if it is reasonable once bottled and tasted i shall have another bash at getting two brews from one lot of grains,partygyle i belive it's called.:cool:

Well,actually bottled the partygyle batch today at 3.5%.
Should get around 16 x 500ml bottles out of the actual initial 4 litre batch so pretty good going i reckon.:cool:

Started this off 13 days ago just as an experiment hence the very small batch.Also got a second brew of 5 litres from the used grains by re mashing for 40 mins and adding more spray malt and boiling for 30 mins with different hops.
Will be bottling into 25cl and 330 ml bottles as it's going to be pretty strong stuff:D did 3.5 ltr mash for 60 mins and dunk sparged with 2.25 litres.
4 litre batch
460 grms irish pale malt
225 grms Brown malt
45 grms black malt
25 grms Oats
454 grms Liquid malt added at start of boil
210 grms Spray malt half added at start of boil,remainder at 15 mins
17 grms EKG 60 min
15 grm EKG 20 min
1/4 protofloc tablet 15 min
3 grm EKG aroma at 80c stand for 15 min.
1/2 pack of Gervin yeast re hydrated
OG 1.086
Expected FG 1.020/22
ABV around 9%
Tested today at 1.022 and still bubbling a tad so more fermentation to go yet:). A taster from the trial jar was pretty good.:cool:

Racked this off today and stable at 1022 which gives around 8.4% so a tad under the 9% expected. Think this is going to be a cracking stout and one that almost certainly will be better for some lengthly storage:cool:

Racked this off today and stable at 1022 which gives around 8.4% so a tad under the 9% expected. Think this is going to be a cracking stout and one that almost certainly will be better for some lengthly storage:cool:
Bottled this today.Stable at 1.022. Phew it smells strong,finished at 8.4% so most gone into small bottles:D

Opened a very early bottle of the partygyled beer that i got from the spent grains(re mash) with some added fresh hops.
Not bad, probably akin to a mid colour mild ale,fairly unremarkable but then it was always going to be.Well worth the experiment and got 8 litres or so out of an initial 4 litre brew.It will get drunk:D

Mate if you don't tick the first great beer then the secondary is well it's alcoholic :rolleyes:

Mate if you don't tick the first great beer then the secondary is well it's alcoholic :rolleyes:
Going to do this again at some point,perhaps with a strong IPA this time,re mash the grains with some added malts and then hop the life out of it:D:D

Have done this a couple of times but the second run I added some DME to bring the ABV up to about 5%. It's a great way to use all the sugars when you have one of those big beers that leave lots behind. I mashed 25#s in a 10gal mash tun, sparged just enough to get pre-boil volume of 7gal for first run then sparged til it dropped to about 1.020 gravity coming from tun for second batch which was close to 6gal.

Have done this a couple of times but the second run I added some DME to bring the ABV up to about 5%. It's a great way to use all the sugars when you have one of those big beers that leave lots behind. I mashed 25#s in a 10gal mash tun, sparged just enough to get pre-boil volume of 7gal for first run then sparged til it dropped to about 1.020 gravity coming from tun for second batch which was close to 6gal.
Nice.
I was going to up the ABV but thought a nice lightish one would go well for sitting in the garden on a hot day with:D

The more the merrier eh chub1;) that's my thinking when it comes to lower alcohol beers.

Back