Hofbrau original

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
I love this beer even in green bottles (I know, throw your tomatoes) but I can not for the life of me, duplicate it. I'm convinced that I will need to pour a little more money out for another kettle to perform decoction mashing, or I need to fly to Munich Germany and kidnap their head brewer, and torture him for exact ingredients and instructions to brew this beer.

Does melanoidin malt duplicate decoction mashing if added to grain bill for recipe to get that decoction taste?

Hofbrau does have a unique flavor, but I don't think decoction mashing will emulate the flavor. I tried It both ways with and without decoction with very little difference in flavor. There is a website dedicated to duplicating the flavor of a German Helles.

http://www.germanbrewing.net/2015/10/14/german-brewing-forum/

Personally, I have come closest with recipe that has 97.5% Weyermann Bohemian Pils and 2.5% melanoidan malt. Mash at 145F for 45 minutes, step up to 158F for 15 minutes and do a mashout. Pitch a very large amount of WLP830 yeast (2 million cells/mL/degree Plato) at 44F and let it come up to 46-48F and let it ferment for 3-4 days (this reduces fruitiness). After that bring up slowly over 3-4 days to 62F and let it set for 2 weeks. Crash and lager 3-4 weeks at 32-33F. Clear, keg and enjoy.

The Bohemian malt has a very nice, rich flavor for such a pale malt that I haven't been able to find in standard German Pils malt.

Happy brewing.

Thank you high voltage I will be doing some research before I brew next weekend I may try this recipe.

Thank you high voltage I will be doing some research before I brew next weekend I may try this recipe.
I've just been checking out this forum crunk it's filled with great hombrewing information top stuff and brewing knowledge I've never herd of before cheers Highvoltageman!

Same here, it's a gold mine of knowledge, hats off high voltage

Thanks, Helles/Oktoberfest is my favorite beer! Also using wlp 830 (very slow tho! but great flavor!)...

Any advice for using Weyermann floor-malted Bohemian? Used a protein rest last time, but it seems a bit difficult to work with given primitive Biab methods on a gas stove...temperature control for smallish batches (27l) is so-so...happy if I'm within 1-2 degrees. Still beats the pants off of extract brewing.

Downloaded the oxygen-reduced brewing method paper from german brewing..very informative but am still at beginner stages here in all-grain brewing land...only about 8 allgrain batches so far.

Last edited:
I got so much information from those pages so far my head hurts but I'm brewing this upcoming weekend guaranteed

Thanks, Helles/Oktoberfest is my favorite beer! Also using wlp 830 (very slow tho! but great flavor!)...

Any advice for using Weyermann floor-malted Bohemian? Used a protein rest last time, but it seems a bit difficult to work with given primitive Biab methods on a gas stove...temperature control for smallish batches (27l) is so-so...happy if I'm within 1-2 degrees. Still beats the pants off of extract brewing.

Downloaded the oxygen-reduced brewing method paper from german brewing..very informative but am still at beginner stages here in all-grain brewing land...only about 8 allgrain batches so far.
I'm am not a fan of the floor malted Pils. It wasn't all that good, but it was pricey. I also tried Best Malz, Global, Wyermann Barke, Weyermann Pils and Wyermann Bohemian. The worst was Best (it was weird in a bad way) and I liked the Wyermann Pils, but the two I like the most are the Bohemian and Barke. Bohemian is rich and malty and Barke is malty with some grainy-ness to it, but not as rich as Bohemian. I never do protein rests, I don't think it's necessary.

I'm am not a fan of the floor malted Pils. It wasn't all that good, but it was pricey. I also tried Best Malz, Global, Wyermann Barke, Weyermann Pils and Wyermann Bohemian. The worst was Best (it was weird in a bad way) and I liked the Wyermann Pils, but the two I like the most are the Bohemian and Barke. Bohemian is rich and malty and Barke is malty with some grainy-ness to it, but not as rich as Bohemian. I never do protein rests, I don't think it's necessary.
Agreed. Don't waste your money on the expensive floor-malted yada yada. The flavor in an Oktoberfest is in the Munich malt and I (heretic!) like to use a Colorado pale ale malt for my Helles. Personal opinion only, use these values for comparison.... ;-)

This is right from the Hofbrau brewery. 90% Pils, 10% light Munich. Magnum hops 23-25 IBU, 60% at 58', 30% at 30, 10% at whirlpool. W34-70, OG 11.8, ferment at 9c for 6 days, cool to 7c, 10% krausen, maturation at 9c, lager at -1c for 3 weeks.

That's interesting! I'm assuming it's their Helles? I didn't realize the IBU's would be so high, they must be using some pretty soft water.

That's interesting! I'm assuming it's their Helles? I didn't realize the IBU's would be so high, they must be using some pretty soft water.

you make a great point, most people don't get that, all ibu's are relative to how soft or hard water is and when you filter pretty extensively like i do, you need higher ibu's

Ive only used weyerman floormalted bohimianpilsner malt once. Funny thing i can buy that malt or a crappy base malt for a similar price i pay 5 bucks per kg for floor malted and same for standard pils.

I only mashed floor malted nothing else and the judges seemed to like it in the comp i entered it into. It has a lovely honey sweetness to it. Was full in flavour and head retention was great.

Its an award winning malt in my circumstances anyway and im looking forward to trying it in different combinations in the future.

you make a great point, most people don't get that, all ibu's are relative to how soft or hard water is and when you filter pretty extensively like i do, you need higher ibu's
Exactly! I don't filter but my soft well water seems to really subdue the hops and I need to take that in account with my recipes.

That's absolutely true. Soft water equals a softer bitterness. The beer is a lot smoother the the softer the water.

"This is right from the Hofbrau brewery. 90% Pils, 10% light Munich. Magnum hops 23-25 IBU, 60% at 58', 30% at 30, 10% at whirlpool. W34-70, OG 11.8, ferment at 9c for 6 days, cool to 7c, 10% krausen, maturation at 9c, lager at -1c for 3 weeks."

I guess that the person that owns the brewery doesn't mind that his brewmaster let the world know how they brew beer.
There's land for sale on Planet Zyclor. Yesterday, I was selling it for a buck an acre. Today, it's on sale a penny an acre. How many acres do you want? LOL..

"Agreed. Don't waste your money on the expensive floor-malted yada yada."

Why is floor malt a waste of money?
What is floor malted yada yada, a special variety of barley?

Back