Hofbrau original

"This is right from the Hofbrau brewery. 90% Pils, 10% light Munich. Magnum hops 23-25 IBU, 60% at 58', 30% at 30, 10% at whirlpool. W34-70, OG 11.8, ferment at 9c for 6 days, cool to 7c, 10% krausen, maturation at 9c, lager at -1c for 3 weeks."

I guess that the person that owns the brewery doesn't mind that his brewmaster let the world know how they brew beer.
There's land for sale on Planet Zyclor. Yesterday, I was selling it for a buck an acre. Today, it's on sale a penny an acre. How many acres do you want? LOL..

"Agreed. Don't waste your money on the expensive floor-malted yada yada."

Why is floor malt a waste of money?
What is floor malted yada yada, a special variety of barley?
I attended a party once and got the entire recipe for Coors Banquet from one of their brewers there (not that I'd ever want to brew it). I also got the hop bill for Blue Moon and Colorado Native. Our local brewpubs will give you their recipes freely. Because they know that even if you can know to the gram every ingredient, even use the same water, you can't reproduce their beer. It's their process that's proprietary and you'll never get that out of them.

Floor malting is a traditional process for making light malts. It's more of a "craft" process, although some big maltsters like Weyermann are using it in small volumes for traditional pilsners, mostly Bohemian or Czech versions. I've brewed with it, can't say it's a big plus or minus. It's one of the few less modified malts available out there and so doesn't require but benefits from decoction or step mashing.

"This is right from the Hofbrau brewery. 90% Pils, 10% light Munich. Magnum hops 23-25 IBU, 60% at 58', 30% at 30, 10% at whirlpool. W34-70, OG 11.8, ferment at 9c for 6 days, cool to 7c, 10% krausen, maturation at 9c, lager at -1c for 3 weeks."

I guess that the person that owns the brewery doesn't mind that his brewmaster let the world know how they brew beer.
There's land for sale on Planet Zyclor. Yesterday, I was selling it for a buck an acre. Today, it's on sale a penny an acre. How many acres do you want? LOL..

"Agreed. Don't waste your money on the expensive floor-malted yada yada."

Why is floor malt a waste of money?
What is floor malted yada yada, a special variety of barley?
It not that unusual for recipes to be "leaked" or made public. The recipe is a small part of the process and I would argue that the brewing process has a bigger impact than the recipe itself.

I wouldn't say floor malted barley is a waste of money, but I don't like because it's so inconsistent from batch to batch (the flavor isn't that good anyway). There's a good reason malsters abandoned it, it lack consistency and it's an expensive process.

I attended a party once and got the entire recipe for Coors Banquet from one of their brewers there (not that I'd ever want to brew it). I also got the hop bill for Blue Moon and Colorado Native. Our local brewpubs will give you their recipes freely. Because they know that even if you can know to the gram every ingredient, even use the same water, you can't reproduce their beer. It's their process that's proprietary and you'll never get that out of them.

The guy that gave me that info did say it would be very hard to replicate it on a Homebrew scale but should help me get closer. I didn't feel he was trying to sell me a bridge or lead me as far away from the true recipe as possible. He seemed pretty genuine and honest in quite a few email exchanges. He could of just blew me off.

I've also received info from Weinhenstephan, Bitburger, Paulaner and others. You don't always get all your questions answered 100% but any little tidbits are helpful.

The guy that gave me that info did say it would be very hard to replicate it on a Homebrew scale but should help me get closer. I didn't feel he was trying to sell me a bridge or lead me as far away from the true recipe as possible. He seemed pretty genuine and honest in quite a few email exchanges. He could of just blew me off.

I've also received info from Weinhenstephan, Bitburger, Paulaner and others. You don't always get all your questions answered 100% but any little tidbits are helpful.
Exactly. Here in the Denver area, brewing is one big fraternity. We all share information, recipes, knowledge, tips and tricks. We have the world's biggest brewery over in Golden and one of the world's smallest in my basement. We get together, we talk beers, the pros listen to us and we listen to them. Most places I've been, if you tell them you brew, they'll be happy to talk about their beers. I've been involved in impromptu tastings, I've gotten hints from brewers at every level. One of the things I like most about this hobby is the willingness of most involved to share their "secrets", well most of them.

Back