flat bottled lite

KenK

Trial Member
Reaction score
I made up a five gallon batch of American light from extract and bottled it three weeks ago. Followed the directions pretty closely but it's just barely carbonated. Mixed the priming sugar in the bottling pail, so I know I didn't forget it. It's pretty tasty so I sure don't want to toss it. Do you suppose I could pop all the caps, add a little table sugar and recap without ruining everything? Maybe a half teaspoon or so?

I'd wait a couple weeks. If the sugar is in there, it will ferment. What's the storage temperature? How much priming sugar did you use?

Reactions: J A
It's been pretty cool, about 60f. And I added an 8 ounce packet of the primer for a 5 gallon brew. The American cream ale I made a couple of months ago fizzed up fine after a week or two, so...

Lager or ale and what temperature is it at, if it's an ale and you have it in cold storage the yeast are probably sleeping if it's a lager give it more time they may be tired from the fermenting and with so few being in the bottles. It takes more time than I thought.

Just bring it up to 72 or better for a week. If you see sediment on the bottom, give 'em all a good shake while you're at it. Probably be fine.

Yeah, get it up to 68° if you can.

Thanks you guys. It's a lager and has been at or a smidge above 60f all this time. I'll shake 'em up a little and bring them upstairs. I guess maybe lagers just take longer--fingers crossed.

Lagers do take longer. When I bottled lagers, I stored them in my basement to condition. 65° or so. I got to the point where I'd give it a month before I tried one.

Some people add ale yeast at bottling time. I never did that though. Didn't appeal to me.

I'm lucky to have an internal hot water system at my place with a convenient cupboard built above it! So no mater what time of the year it is it's nice an toasty in there :p.

I'm bottling a batch of APA on Wednesday. I'm betting it'll be ready before the lite. First world problems...

I made up a five gallon batch of American light from extract and bottled it three weeks ago. Followed the directions pretty closely but it's just barely carbonated. Mixed the priming sugar in the bottling pail, so I know I didn't forget it. It's pretty tasty so I sure don't want to toss it. Do you suppose I could pop all the caps, add a little table sugar and recap without ruining everything? Maybe a half teaspoon or so?
Should it not carb up to your liking,grab yourself some small plastic syringes.Draw up a small amount and hold the tip just under the beer and fire it back into the glass and you will get a nice head.Don't overdo it otherwise you will overflow the :eek:glass.

I've been sampling a bottle of the light every few days. It started out flat and funny-tasting, kinda like Miller or Bud lite. Not pour-down-the-drain bad but not good either. Well, it's now really tasty and moderately fizzy. I gotta tell ya, without you guys I probably would've tossed it or added more sugar in the bottles or who knows what. Thanks for the lessons in patience folks!
Now I'm waiting for the apa to fizz up. It tastes great -- just needs a little time. See, I'm learning!

RDWHAHB all the way...

Cracked open a bottle of the apa tonight and holy crap, it's even better than I hoped for! Now planning on forging ahead with some variety of ipa, but this time I'll have a couple of good beers to sip on while I'm waiting for the bottle magic. This hobby is shaping up nicely...

Flat no more!
2017-04-09_19.25.02_1.jpg

a pale ale is just about my favorite, better try that one again if its good , see if you can repeat it

Back