To pitch, or not to pitch

Ryanhuddo

Trial Member
Reaction score
Did the title draw you in? Good :)

So I am starting another brew soon and was considering if I should pitch my yeast dry, hydrated or get a yeast starter going, I have looked over a few articles and i am not even sure if it would matter with an extract brew but I thought I would ask you guys for your opinion.

So I am going an
Ale extract (Cooper real ale 1.7kg)
considering steeping 200grams of light crystal malt
1kg of brew booster
at 10mins adding mangrove jacks finishing galaxy hops 15grams
0mins mangrove jacks finishing galaxy hops 15grams
Safale US-05
Batch size 23L

Now I have a flask for a starter, I also have a brew going at the moment with the same yeast, I have heard reusing the yeast is preferred by professional brewers. So should I just hydrate the 11.5grams of yeast, harvest the yeast from the current batch or should I get a small wort going (250grams?? of brew booster and pitch yeast, ferment for 24 hours?)

Thanks, Ryan

Don't make a starter with dry yeast, but definitely hydrate.
If you want to reuse yeast from your current brew, Google washing yeast and go from there. (And use a calculator to gauge amounts)
Reusing yeast is preferred by the pros - because it's cheaper!

Reactions: J A
Been re hydrating all my yeasts and it does make a big difference:)
Been using water at just 30c and standing for 20 minutes or so,no problems as yet

I pitch my yeast dry. Never had a problem. The kits I used to buy specifically said not to rehydrate the included dry yeast, even though the yeast packet itself said to do so. One reason they said that is that they found that their customers were killing the yeast with water that was too hot.

I've never rehydrated my dry (Fermentis) yeasts and I don't think they performed any worse. Obviusly I don't have a point of comparison, but I've often read they are specifically made to be pitched dry.
I suppose rehydrating wouldn't hurt.

My suggestion is to go with what the manufacturer says and be precise with the instructions.
Kit makers assume you'll fail with amounts and or temperatures.
Most dry yeast manufacturers put re-hydrating instructions on the pack and even those that don't, give you the proper instructions to follow on their websites.
For example, Fermentis packets say "Sprinkle into wort". Go to their site and product line and they give you proper re-hydrating information.
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/SafAle-S-043.pdf
Cheers
Brian

I almost always rehydrate dry yeast, but if I'm using a bucket instead of carboy and depending on the beer, I'll sprinkle on top. It's just about impossible to get dry yeast into a carboy without it clumping up. The yeast will work just fine either way and will respond much more to aeration and fermentation temp in terms of the quality of beer that you get out of it.
Those kits aren't going to benefit much either way. Definitely no reason to do a starter. Having a stir plate is great, but I'd say it's more of a priority to move away from canned kits and start working with better ingredients than try to make yeast starters for kit beers.

Go the slurry Ryan I know JA has plenty of times. I make starters for every brew bro it's just a habit now if I'm thinking of putting a brew on I'll first work out how much yeast I need and spin up a starter for the batch. I've not used slurry to rep itch into. First thing taste your current brew if it tastes nasty or off in any ways use your dry yeast but If not for a smidgin of work your going to get a whopping year count out of let's say a 500ml slurry pitch!.

So find yourself a used cleaned 500ml ish glass jar with metal lid fill saucepan up to cover the jar. Wack it on the stove get it boiling for 10 minutes. Let cool fill glass jar with sanitizer till ready for slurry transfer from your fermentor.

I'd just swrirl the cake up then fill your jar.

Reactions: J A
Thanks all for the feedback

I'd just swrirl the cake up then fill your jar.

If I was going to reuse the yeast from my current brew, there isn't a concern with the old trub? does it create off flavours or it really doesn't matter, it will just settle?

Also obviously not pitching enough has its effects but if I pitch to much? If I was to reuse or create a starter is it a drama if there is more yeast then required and the brew ferments quicker then originally anticipated or again it isn't really an issue?

Well like I said in that post Ryan I don't usually use the slurry from last batch but heck if I was brewing and racking out of fermentor same day I'd pitch on top of yeast cake. But if you just decant some slurry in a jar you can get a more measured idea of how much yeast you are dealing with going by the yeast,calculator on this site. Trub won't affect your brew in my opinion not an ale anyhow. I dump trub and all into all my brews and I've had some pretty clean lagers come outta my method of dump and run lol ha ha.

Oh if you want to make a starter off dry yeast there aren't not dramas with this I do every time I get a new strain of yeast in I'll brew up a 2-2.5 LT starter and pinch some for the future and pitch the rest in brew.

Well I feel we've gone full circle heck just use the dry yeast mate if you aren't one hundred percent confident but if not I'd put me money on some slurry or better yet a slurry starter ?o_O Good luck

You can re use the cake with a few precautions , if new brew is of same gravity then 1/4 to 1/3 of the cake without issues .

I have made starters from dry yeast many times now , works great !
Rehydrate first in plain tap water then add to 100 g LDM per litre in a sterile bottle ( juice or distilled water bottles are good ) and shake them up a few times a day to keep yeast in suspension .
Leave lid ajar with a bag over the top or install an airlock in the lid

Thanks guys, all good info to take on.

sooooo... I ended up re-hydrating it this time around just to be safe but this wasn't my issue, the new born baby was going absolutely crazy and I needed to help out with the crying so in my rush to finish off my brew and pitch it I accidentally split the hops bag in the wort while I was mixing it up vigorously(aerating with a stirrer on a drill (recommended by my home brew shop)). The hops ended up everywhere and pretty blended, I guess the hops will really get its flavour into the brew but I guess now I am worried hops aren't meant to be blended to this effect and has a negative effect, and if not when I goto rack it filtering the hops out(maybe using a muslin bag over the siphon ??)

Has anything like this happened to anyone, do you guys think it will be fine? I really was looking forward to this one :/

Thanks guys, all good info to take on.

sooooo... I ended up re-hydrating it this time around just to be safe but this wasn't my issue, the new born baby was going absolutely crazy and I needed to help out with the crying so in my rush to finish off my brew and pitch it I accidentally split the hops bag in the wort while I was mixing it up vigorously(aerating with a stirrer on a drill (recommended by my home brew shop)). The hops ended up everywhere and pretty blended, I guess the hops will really get its flavour into the brew but I guess now I am worried hops aren't meant to be blended to this effect and has a negative effect, and if not when I goto rack it filtering the hops out(maybe using a muslin bag over the siphon ??)

Has anything like this happened to anyone, do you guys think it will be fine? I really was looking forward to this one :/
She'll be apples mate! Like doing a dry hop but before krausen lol I'm sure no ill effect can come of this reason Brewers don't dry hop before fermentation is a lot of aroma can be driven off durin fermentation but the new NEIPA dry hop at high krausen resulting (not by my own experience) in a more hazy brew.

I've use me plastic spoon with drill before to aireate brew good idea me thinks;).
Oh FWIW I take my hat off to you Ryan brewing and new born that is a mammoth juggle good luck:p.

Total non-issue! It takes a lot more than that to ruin a beer, buddy. :)

After a while it'll clear out just fine. What happens is that the yeast stays in suspension after vigorous primary fermentation and as it clumps together (flocculates), it grabs all the gunk around it on it's way to the bottom. When it comes time to rack, you'll see layers at the bottom with all the green goo (yeast, protein and hops) underneath a cleaner layer of yeast.
You'll do well to leave it in primary for the full time - maybe 3 weeks...no secondary vessel - and cold crash when you get ready to keg or bottle. It'll be clean as a whistle.

Awesome thanks guys, and the new born is no drama*touch wood, last night she put on a huge fuss because the wife had to much dairy, apparently it doesn't transfer well haha. I'll defiantly be giving the cold crush method a crack, haven't used it to date :)

Awesome thanks guys, and the new born is no drama*touch wood, last night she put on a huge fuss because the wife had to much dairy, apparently it doesn't transfer well haha. I'll defiantly be giving the cold crush method a crack, haven't used it to date :)
How olds the Bub Ryan? Must be early days hay? You have one empathetic lady in your life cheers to you and your family mate;).

How olds the Bub Ryan? Must be early days hay? You have one empathetic lady in your life cheers to you and your family mate;).

Thanks mate, the baby is 2 weeks old today, she is been proving to be a bit difficult, crying all night sleeping all day.. Loving it. haha.

Back