Fermentation seems to have ended... early. What now?

Bgiebels

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brewed a stout on Saturday 3/4/2017. The initial fermentation was very active. But now the fermentation seems to have ended. How do I tell if it has ended after only 4 days? What do I do if it indeed did end this early?

just swirl it a bit without opening it, then wait at least 7 days and take a gravity reading with a hydrometer

When you get the same hydrometer reading 2 or 3 days in a row, it's done fermenting.

When you get the same hydrometer reading 2 or 3 days in a row, it's done fermenting.

I haven't started taking Hydrometer Readings yet thinking that I had another 11 days of fermenting to wait on... I'll take one to see if it is close to the expected Final reading.

Thanks,

I haven't started taking Hydrometer Readings yet thinking that I had another 11 days of fermenting to wait on... I'll take one to see if it is close to the expected Final reading.

Thanks,
Don't...The only reason to take a gravity early is if you suspect a stuck fermentation. What tells you that it's done? is the yeast dropping? Even when the vigorous first stages are done, there's still a lot going on. Yeast cells are finding the harder-to-digest sugars and they're using up the by-products of fermentation. If you take a gravity at day 7 and it's at FG, leave it for another week to clear. Doesn't hurt a thing to leave it undisturbed for a couple of weeks after FG and then cold crash or package, depending on how clear it is. More time, up to a point, makes better beer.

There is that as well , rate i'm going i'll have a whole bank of fridges set up or bid on that gycol chiller i see going up for auction

Personally, I'd just let it sit. I don't even bother checking gravity readings until 14 days.

Sounds like fermentation was quick being an ale at good fermentation temperature like 20c I'm sure it will be fermented out in one week. A few more days for the yeast to clean up off flavours then I'd chill her down. Of course one exception take your hydrometer readings man :). It goes hand in hand with brewing it's one of your most important pieces of brewquipment your little glass float. Without this you risk creating little hand grenades:eek:. You don't want to be one of "them" homebrewers who's bottles are always going off with a bang in the shed:p.

Next brew take a reading before you pitch your yeast then at the end a few days apart and you should be apples.

Quite normal what you are describing. My ales usually only show airlock activity for a few days. As others have said, it may be at final gravity but the yeast still has some cleaning up to do.
Some will pull the trigger earlier, but I leave it for 2 weeks (often 3) before touching it. I'm confident in my process so I only take one gravity reading as I package, but the proper way is to take readings a couple days apart to make sure fermentation is done.

Reactions: J A
With brews I've done before i have skippes the second reading , my mash and yeast propagation techniques are very constant so I know what to expect .
Taking a second reading is cheap insurance

Don't...The only reason to take a gravity early is if you suspect a stuck fermentation. What tells you that it's done? is the yeast dropping? Even when the vigorous first stages are done, there's still a lot going on. Yeast cells are finding the harder-to-digest sugars and they're using up the by-products of fermentation. If you take a gravity at day 7 and it's at FG, leave it for another week to clear. Doesn't hurt a thing to leave it undisturbed for a couple of weeks after FG and then cold crash or package, depending on how clear it is. More time, up to a point, makes better beer.

Well, I did take a reading... before getting your message. The beer is near it's final gravity. Currently 1.024 but expected is 1.020. I can't tell if the yeast is dropping or not. The beer is extremely dark and I can't see a light shine through it at all. I happened to go ahead and taste my sample I took... mmmmm I'm going to like this one.

The first one I made, an American Blonde (that came with the brewing kit) was terrible. I just dumped it down the drain tonight. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed in this one.

Based on your comments, I take it the extra 11 days will help it clear up as well.

Thanks,

Quite normal what you are describing. My ales usually only show airlock activity for a few days. As others have said, it may be at final gravity but the yeast still has some cleaning up to do.
Some will pull the trigger earlier, but I leave it for 2 weeks (often 3) before touching it. I'm confident in my process so I only take one gravity reading as I package, but the proper way is to take readings a couple days apart to make sure fermentation is done.

Thanks, I'll let it rest for the 11 days... and then take another reading. I'm assuming the gravity isn't going to drop that much but the extra "cleaning" will be good.

Sounds like fermentation was quick being an ale at good fermentation temperature like 20c I'm sure it will be fermented out in one week. A few more days for the yeast to clean up off flavours then I'd chill her down. Of course one exception take your hydrometer readings man :). It goes hand in hand with brewing it's one of your most important pieces of brewquipment your little glass float. Without this you risk creating little hand grenades:eek:. You don't want to be one of "them" homebrewers who's bottles are always going off with a bang in the shed:p.

Next brew take a reading before you pitch your yeast then at the end a few days apart and you should be apples.

I certainly did take the hydro-reading before I pitched the yeast. The original reading was 1.070 and the reading I took today was near the expected gravity at 1.024.

Thanks,

Currently 1.024 but expected is 1.020.

Og or .070 and FG of .020 is less than 70% attenuation. You can get more than that from most yeasts. I'd give it a little swirl just keep the colony interested. Even at .020, there's potentially a lot of sugar left in there and bottling might be problematic. I think it'll be a better beer all around if you can get a few more points out of it and get it down below .020.

Og or .070 and FG of .020 is less than 70% attenuation. You can get more than that from most yeasts. I'd give it a little swirl just keep the colony interested. Even at .020, there's potentially a lot of sugar left in there and bottling might be problematic. I think it'll be a better beer all around if you can get a few more points out of it and get it down below .020.

Yeah I saw that too but OP did mention that it was a stout so I thought maybe he did a higher mash temp or threw in lactose. But I agree, if none of those things were done, he should have a lower FG.

Back