What to brew?

Bowhunter64

Premium Member
Reaction score
My brother in law (the guy that put the bug in my brain to start brewing) is getting married. He has asked me to brew the beer for his wedding in early June so I gotta start thinking about what I'm going to do, cream ale is what he wants but I'd like to have another flavor there too I was thinking a wheat. I don't have time or temp control enough for a Lager or pilsner. Any suggestions?

I made a wit and chocolate porter for out wedding. Hung name tags on them for everyone. I made twice as much wit since not everyone likedoes good beer. And I was a bit choosy on who got what beer

I brewed for a niece's wedding. A Cider for her and a Schwartz beer for him with a back up of a dark wheat.. Worked out well. When 2 people get together bring 2 beers together. It is surprising how much well made home brew gets drank by yellow fuzzy beer drinkers when they get the chance. Any simple balanced beer will go over well. Have fun with it. Think of them and their partnership and brew accordingly.

You have the cream ale for the fizzy drinkers brew an IPA or pale for the beer drinkers. What does the bride like you have to brew something she likes also.

Something that's sessionable with enough hop profile to interest the aficionados but not so hoppy or bitter as to be off-putting for the fizzy yellow beer crowd.
Uh oh. I don't care for hoppy beer. I'll step to the other side. :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Anything that's not over the top is usually a good answer.
Keep in mind that you'll be serving this to people who aren't used to drinking craft beer with live yeast in it. That being said, making sure you do a good job in dropping as much yeast as possible will let the crowd have a more enjoyable experience. There's nothing worse than putting a large group of gassy people together!
I'd go with high Floculating yeast like WLP002 and or use gelatin to clear your beer.
Here are some crowd pleasers;
British Golden Ale
English Bitter
Irish Red
American Cream Ale
American Amber
American Pale Ale

Good Luck
Brian

Everybody loves free beer. When I brew for parties I brew it sessionable. Many people aren't used to strong beer and people tend to drink more at parties.

For our club case swaps we all end up going over the top
11% Belgian quad ? Sure why not
I did a 7% rye saison that's funkier than James brown but these guys are all brewers and know what to expect .
I've been tasked to brew a few kegs for local football team
So one has to be my Coopers pale clone ( highest selling local beer )
Lucky its sold as a bottle /keg conditioned ale

The other will probably be my own house pale for the crafty drinkers as even the brew curious drinkers find it easily approachable and both are under 5% ABV .
Throughout the season I'll change things as the seasons dictate

Depends on the crowd. I'm with J A as that was my first thought exactly. Pales are always safe but I'd hop it up to at least 40IBU with nothing too crazy. Maybe a Cascade base dry hopped with half oz Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascade.

Lots of cool suggestions on this thread, especially if the crowd is real beer drinkers. I would suggest, however, the crowd is not likely to Contain many "real beer" drinkers.

I would go with something really innocuous as the "main beer." Perhaps something like an English ESB or pale ale or the like. Provide a smaller quantity of something more interesting, for the more adventurous.

Thank you everyone for your input I think we are all on the same page. From what I understand there will be a few real beer drinkers in the crowd and I'd really like to impress them with my prowess around the brew kettle but I would really like to show the fizzy yellow pee water drinkers what beer should taste like without turning them off.I think the cream ale should fit that bill and I think I'm gonna go with the hoppy wheat as the second.I'm gonna brew a batch this weekend to try it out its gonna be cutting it close but I think I can pull it off! Oh did I mention I'm also the best man? Talk about pressure! Lol

No matter what you brew and serve, I'd recommend not insulting your guest's preference for the beer they like to drink.

funny I took an entire keezer to a wedding with 20 gallons full of beer plus 3 cases of wine and a commercial keg of beer and I took home 1/3 gallon left of mine the next day, that was a blast

Nope never happen! We plan on having plenty of commercial offerings also!

It's funny I work at a very small family operated business we have a refrigerator for beer and we kind of take turns filling the fridge, most of my coworkers and my boss are adamant that Busch lite is the best beer anywhere and they give me a hard time about my brewing hobby so I brought a keg to work this morning and put it in the frige. After work we tapped it and when I left everyone was fighting over the tap hose! Lol

No matter what you brew and serve, I'd recommend not insulting your guest's preference for the beer they like to drink.
For sure. Weddings are all about a good time that will be remembered for years.
What you can do is offer a beer or two or three that both the bride and groom like. Let it go from there. If it's a big crowd yes tap some fizzy beer. Take in the opinions (worth listening to) for future brewing ideas and enjoy the occasion.
By the way, I saved a couple of bottles of the wedding beer/cider and gave them to the couple for their first anniversary. Turned out to be a nice touch. As I was saying, its about the memories.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/posts/14250/

Back