First recipe feedback, biab ipa

Rugged_D

Trial Member
Reaction score
Any feedback welcome, grain bill/ hops etc. my first shot in the dark attempt ipa, ive brewed extract and am going to all grain so i figured id try a small batch first, 3.5 gallon brew in a bag...

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 68% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.25%
IBU (tinseth): 96.52
SRM (morey): 8.48

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (77%)
0.625 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (6.9%)
1 lb - Flaked Wheat (11%)
5 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.4%)
2.5 oz - Canadian - Honey Malt (1.7%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 60.79
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 23.01
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.67
0.5 oz - Hbc 438, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.06
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
0.5 oz - Hbc 438, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Omega Yeast Labs - DIPA Ale
iframe>

Last edited:
i might bump the carapils down a bit, you've got the wheat in there to help. other than that, recipe looks good

one other thing, are your batch and boil size numbers correct? 4 gallons seems a lot to lose to boil off and trub

I just realized that, i edited the boil size to 6, and cut the carapils to 5oz, that seem more on point?

that looks a bit better ;)

i'd mash on the higher end too, the FG looks like it'll finish a bit on the sweeter side

Looks like a nice brew. I might drop the carapils completely if I were brewing it. Enjoy.

Looks like a NEIPA you're going for with the wheat in there. I respectfully disagree with the higher mash temp. Play with the recipe but I'm sure if you adjust your mash temp higher the FG will also be higher. I mash my IPA's at 150-152 and like the FG to finish lower leaving a dryer vs. sweeter finish. The honey malt will give you a bit of sweetness. If you want a lower FG, increase the percentage of base malt and/or add sugar as a crutch to bring it down. I agree with brew cat to lose the car pils all together since the wheat will give you the head retention.

Awesome feedback, thanks, would u add sugar to the mash? Or towards the end of the boil? How much? Thanks

Unless you're confident of your boil rate, you're still going to have a bigger post-boil volume than you think. 4 to 6 quarts per hour is about standard so you'll have as much as 4.5 gallons post boil. Unless you have your profile set for a gallon of loss between post-boil and fermenter, you're going to end up with lower OG than you think.
If this is your first BIAB recipe, figure out your boil rate ( yes boil water for an hour at the same vigor rate that you'll be boiling wort and see how much goes away). then switch your batch size from fermenter to kettle and adjust pre-boil and post-boil amounts accordingly. That will tell you more about what to expect about OG and hop IBU uptake.

Unless you're confident of your boil rate, you're still going to have a bigger post-boil volume than you think. 4 to 6 quarts per hour is about standard so you'll have as much as 4.5 gallons post boil. Unless you have your profile set for a gallon of loss between post-boil and fermenter, you're going to end up with lower OG than you think.
If this is your first BIAB recipe, figure out your boil rate ( yes boil water for an hour at the same vigor rate that you'll be boiling wort and see how much goes away). then switch your batch size from fermenter to kettle and adjust pre-boil and post-boil amounts accordingly. That will tell you more about what to expect about OG and hop IBU uptake.

Will def do this as I purchased a new pot and new burner so its gunna be different from what ive been using

Reactions: J A

Back