who uses no bittering hops?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm messing with a recipe for a double ipa, shooting for 1.070 OG and 100IBUs

Does anyone try and reach 100IBUs with no bittering additions, all from 20min and later?

Here's my current boil schedule, not sure why, but I;m skeptical about doing any 60 min additions. And adding another ounce of one of these hops

0.25 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.9, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 30.6
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 30.34
0.25 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.9, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 15.18
0.25 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.08
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.9, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 12.2
0.25 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Boil for 2.5 min, IBU: 2.62

when you dont use a bittering hop at all it will work but the bitterness is a softer taste, hard to explain it really depends on your water I guess or if you add brewing salts and which ones

when you dont use a bittering hop at all it will work but the bitterness is a softer taste, hard to explain it really depends on your water I guess or if you add brewing salts and which ones
True. I'm going 50/130 cl/so4 on this one.

Why don't you do a FWH addition instead of a 60min then you get that isomerisation at lower mash temps and softer bitterness as well. Then you next additions can start from 20mins like your planning.

Why don't you do a FWH addition instead of a 60min then you get that isomerisation at lower mash temps and softer bitterness as well. Then you next additions can start from 20mins like your planning.
First wort hopping is interesting. The calculator shows that addition to produce fewer IBUs, but I think it adds more actual IBUs, but they're masked by a lot of extra flavor. I like the FWH addition, but if you use that and compute 100 IBUs, you could have a real monster on your hands. I'd compute the IBUs at the 60 minute addition, add everything up to 100 and then change the 60 minute addition to FWH. Same IBUs or more with a more rounded bitterness and hop profile.
That being said, the way you have laid out should give you a very rich hop profile. I'd use Magnum for the bittering just because it lays down a really nice foundation of smooth bitterness for other hop flavors to build on. And I'd dry hop it with at least an ounce each, more if you've got it.
If you have the malt backbone to hold it up this will be a really nice beer.

Ookeedokey, modifications, here we go.

Mashing in 10qt treated DI water,
3.5lbs 2-row
0.5lbs Munich 10
1lbs Flaked oats

Sparging Orleans parish tap water to achieve 3 gallons.
And then we get, Ca=90, Mg=4, Na=10, Cl=50, SO4=130
adding 1lbs DME Pilsen for gravity.

Boiling down to 2.25 gallons with this schedule = ~100IBUs
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 30.52
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.9, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 30.54
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 18.27
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.9, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 12.27
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Boil for 2.5 min, IBU: 5.27
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.9, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 2.65
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.9, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

Totals:
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (alternate): 8%
IBU (tinseth): 99.54
SRM (morey): 5.58

so the golden rule is Calcium chloride makes it smooth and maltier and gypsum makes it bitter-ish, what did you use

so the golden rule is Calcium chloride makes it smooth and maltier and gypsum makes it bitter-ish, what did you use
treating 10qt of DI water with 3.2g Gypsum and 1.1g CaCl, and 1g Lactic Acid, nothing else except tap water for sparging.

Sounds like all them hops will be in play that late in the boil Oliver whatever happens you'll have plenty going on with flavour and aroma from them hops. Looks like a pretty light base for these hops you don't want to go with anything a bit more malty?

Sounds like all them hops will be in play that late in the boil Oliver whatever happens you'll have plenty going on with flavour and aroma from them hops. Looks like a pretty light base for these hops you don't want to go with anything a bit more malty?

when it comes to IPAs, I like to keep it simple. hops hops hops. Munich 10 is the only backbone I really need, and oats to keep it smooth.

I was going to suggest this as well. I've not tried it yet but from what I've read, it sounds like you get a less harsh bitterness.

I think so I don't know about more flavour from the hops but definitely in my perceived perception the bitterness is smoother.

I came close to using no bittering hops today, the Witbier. I used Lemondrop hops at 30 minutes, the only hop addition. I'm hoping it preserves some of the lemon flavor/aroma and handles the minimal bittering need of the beer. Will keep the thread posted as the beer matures.

Back