Malt Combo

Stephen P

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together a recipe and want was thinking about brown malt and aromatic malt at about 6% of each. I know they are both pretty strong malts. Anyone have any experience with this combo?

aromatic malt has a distinctive flavor, you either like it or you don't, I would not add too much

Reactions: J A
aromatic malt has a distinctive flavor, you either like it or you don't, I would not add too much

That's great advice. ;)
I figured out very quickly that I didn't like beers with Melanoidin malt in the grist. Even a small amount leaves a flavor that I don't care for.

I picked up my grains last night and the brown malt is Simpson's coffee/brown malt (150 L). I've got the 70L brown malt in the past. Not sure what to expect from this malt.

Here's what I have so far
80% 2 row
6% aromatic malt
6% c60
5 % coffee/ brown malt
3% chocolate malt
What do you think?

She's definitely going to be nut brown there Stephen with all those crystal malts and roast malts. I'm sure if you like a malty beer this one will put a smile on ya dile. Are you using English hops with this again? Or European? I've only done two brown style beers both were extracts and one I doused with coffee I enjoyed both. Good luck mate be sure to post a pic of the beer when she's done will be great to get a look at her:).

She's definitely going to be nut brown there Stephen with all those crystal malts and roast malts. I'm sure if you like a malty beer this one will put a smile on ya dile. Are you using English hops with this again? Or European? I've only done two brown style beers both were extracts and one I doused with coffee I enjoyed both. Good luck mate be sure to post a pic of the beer when she's done will be great to get a look at her:).
That's what I was going for, a nice brown ale. I going to EKG @60 and some Willamette near the end of the boil. I'm still a little worried about the coffee malt. I was expecting the 70L brown malt.

similar to a porter but this is going to be thick and rich tasting, I don't think hops will even be tasted, too many strong dark grains

That's what I was going for, a nice brown ale. I going to EKG @60 and some Willamette near the end of the boil. I'm still a little worried about the coffee malt. I was expecting the 70L brown malt.
I'd use half the brown malt

Here's what I have so far
80% 2 row
6% aromatic malt
6% c60
5 % coffee/ brown malt
3% chocolate malt
What do you think?
You are only looking at 20% specialty malts... Go for it.
Could be the best beer ever brewed... could be just another exbeeriment. I think you are in line as far as balance goes so try it. IMO
English yeast would fit with hops.

I've herd that a brown ale is the most forgiving style to brew Stephen that said brew on brother :D.

I was talking about the extra color from the 150L compared to the 70L. Aromatic malt will ferment so I don't consider it a specialty malt it's munch malt I think. Your still using 15% c/c malts which will be sweet IMO but if that's what you want brew on. I'd probably call it a porter though.

Back