Cascade instead of Citra?

BrouHaHa

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm brewing a Zombie Dust clone, but I have a whole bunch of Cascade hops that I picked this last summer.
I was thinking of taking the same recipe & replacing the Citra hops with Cascade instead.
Any thoughts?

I'm brewing a Zombie Dust clone, but I have a whole bunch of Cascade hops that I picked this last summer.
I was thinking of taking the same recipe & replacing the Citra hops with Cascade instead.
Any thoughts?

I'm not familiar with Zombie Dust in particular, but Citra and Cascade are really different hops.That being said, you can't go wrong with as much Cascade hops as you can pack into a recipe.
Personally I'm not a big fan of Citra. I like the aroma, but I get a kind of artificial sweetner note from the flavor. I'm going to start subbing Mosaic for Citra in the recipes where I've used it.
All Cascade is going to give you something more like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I did a Cascade SMASH not too long ago that I consider one of my best and favorite beers.

PS...Cascade and Citra together is quite a good combination, IMO and if you use a little Citra somewhere in the late addition along with a bunch of Cascade, it might play up some of the more subtle flavors in the Cascade.

I'm not familiar with Zombie Dust in particular, but Citra and Cascade are really different hops.That being said, you can't go wrong with as much Cascade hops as you can pack into a recipe.
Personally I'm not a big fan of Citra. I like the aroma, but I get a kind of artificial sweetner note from the flavor. I'm going to start subbing Mosaic for Citra in the recipes where I've used it.
All Cascade is going to give you something more like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I did a Cascade SMASH not too long ago that I consider one of my best and favorite beers.

PS...Cascade and Citra together is quite a good combination, IMO and if you use a little Citra somewhere in the late addition along with a bunch of Cascade, it might play up some of the more subtle flavors in the Cascade.

Thanks! I'm gonna go ahead & try it!

Reactions: J A
IMO you can't go wrong with cascade hops. I brewed a NEIPA for a pal with a ton of citra he loved it but for myself I split the batch and subed cascade and only some citra and liked it better. It's a personal thing. Just because citra is the current "hot" hops don't jump on the bandwagon. Brew what you like

As much as I like Cascade, I've put a fair amount of Centennial in several beers lately and I'm totally loving that. They say that Centennial is sort of a "super" Cascade, but I think it has a different vibe. Really nice intensity, though. I've got a pound of each to play with and I may have to be splitting a batch to see how different they are.

I brewed NB's Zombie Dust clone a couple of months ago and of the dozen or so brews I've done, it was by far my favorite. The citra hops gave it a strong grapefruit aroma and taste (initially). After letting it condition for an extra week, the grapefruit taste was mostly gone but the aroma stayed. So awesome! So, while I'm pretty new at this, I can say I love citra hops. :)

Back