Snow day

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Got a snow day off from work, I should have prepared better, and got my ingredients to make it a snow / brew day.

That's where buying grain in bulk can save you money and time :).

I'm looking forward to stocking up soon not that there will be any snow days on my horizon lol:D.

Reactions: J A
How do you store your bulk grains to keep them as fresh and dry as possible, plus I don't have a million yet, it is also a couple weeks away

Gotta get a grain mill. A brewing buddy who lives a couple of minutes from me has a mill, but I'd like to have one so I don't have to haul grain over. I've been keeping good quantities of a couple of different base malts on hand, but I need to stock up on smaller quantities of specialty malts and Crystal. I bought a stupid amount of hops from a blow-out sale online at Yakima Valley Hops so I won't be short of those any time soon. I keep an extra pack or two of dry yeast in the freezer and I usually have some leftover cake to work with too.
A few more grains and a mill would make me pretty much self-sufficient. ;)

Certainly you have ingredients on hand to make some sort of smash beer?

I store ahead, but remember all grain needs to be a certain moisture and over time it slowly losses that, all is not lost if that happens you can soak and rejuvenate but the way I keep mine has changed I did have 2 gallon baggies inside a sealed locking tub, now I use the food saver, seal a pound at a time and add to the same sealed tub

I grind my grain right before I mash with a Millars Barley Crusher

https://www.amazon.com/Millars-B3-Barley-Crusher-Grinder/dp/B009601M4I

Looks like I got more items to purchase come tax time

I mill my grains in a thermomix pretty much course flour. I biab so I can get away with this if I did a more traditional mash I couldn't get away with just blitzing them in the thermomix.

I store the grains in sealed drum like that dog food drum.
I gave my grain a deep freeze a while ago after discovering some little bugs in it that sorted them out they went from summer to Antarctica in hours :D.

Certainly you have ingredients on hand to make some sort of smash beer?

In a pinch I could easily turn out a good beer without leaving the house. Might have to run the grain through a food processer to keep from wearing out my elbows with a rolling pin. ;)

In a pinch I could easily turn out a good beer without leaving the house. Might have to run the grain through a food processer to keep from wearing out my elbows with a rolling pin. ;)
Mate the amount of beer you've churned out recently I'm sure that mill will pay for itself :)

Mate the amount of beer you've churned out recently I'm sure that mill will pay for itself :)

It's next on the list...i just have to be able to sneak it into the lineup so it doesn't rouse suspicion. The dear Missus is impressed that the ingredients for 2 cases of beer only costs $20 or so. Big equipment expenditures are best kept under the radar. :rolleyes:

Hot enough to fry an egg outside today , feeling pretty thirsty tonight

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-10-16-19-49.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-10-16-19-49.png
    475.4 KB · Views: 292
Hot enough to fry an egg outside today , feeling pretty thirsty tonight
What 60c Mark that's even too hot for saison! Gee I see Facebook a koala getting a drink from a back yard hose:). Yep supposed to be getting your heat wave up here this weekend Mark 40 plus in hinterland luckily high 30s here.

Sunday hottest hay hope you've got some Pilsner left .​

Air temp was 43 , that was a metal plate thermometer in direct sunlight
Think a frypan in direct sunlight would actually cook an egg though

I'll be brewing that saison tomorrow starting ferment temp of 26 c will be a sinch I'll have to regulate the temp in my freezer I'm thinking as minimum will be about that temp. Well I timed it right;)

Back