Advanced Water Calculator and mash pH from SRM color question

Silver_Is_Money

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
How is the % Roasted entry to be properly computed? Are there written guidelines for this?

How is the % Roasted entry to be properly computed? Are there written guidelines for this?

Yes, the instructions are below the calculator if you scroll down. The instructions for that state: % roasted color: approximate ratio between color derived from roasted malts and total beer color. An estimation as 0%, 25%, 75% or 100% is sufficient

I will say that for best accuracy, in my opinion calculation by the malt bill is best. Beer color is not nearly as accurate.

Yes, the instructions are below the calculator if you scroll down. The instructions for that state: % roasted color: approximate ratio between color derived from roasted malts and total beer color. An estimation as 0%, 25%, 75% or 100% is sufficient

I will say that for best accuracy, in my opinion calculation by the malt bill is best. Beer color is not nearly as accurate.

Thanks Yooper! The similar 'Kaiser Water Calculator' instructions imply to ignore the color contribution of the base malts If I read them correctly, Should the same be done for the Brewers Friend version?

Here is the source for my confusion. On Kai Troester's 'Kaiser Water Calculator' spreadsheet (which is the functional basis for Brewers Friend's Advanced Water Calculator' when used in the mash pH via SRM color mode) it is stated that:

"The fields “roasted %” allows you to specify how much of the beer's color is contributed by roasted malts. E.g. if a beer is brewed with 90% 2-row, 7% 60 Lovibond cara malts and 3% 500 Lovibond roasted malts, the roasted malt portion of the color is 3%*500/(7%*60+3%*500)=78% (this neglects the color from the 2-row) . The formula used for this estimation is explained here: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beer_color,_alkalinity_and_mash_pH
The predicted distilled water mash pH value is that of a room temperature mash sample"

Notice the instruction to ignore a grist bills base malt(s) color contribution when calculating the percent roasted value.

Last edited:

I fully agree. In less time than it takes to compute the % Roasted value, you can have all of your grists individual malts entered and be assured of a more reliable mash pH outcome. And particularly more so when the "% Roasted" values calculating method itself is doubted.

one of the thing thats more important is color change vs too much roasted flavor, there is a fine line so some other black grain might be needed to enhance the color more so that just using roasted barley

Back