Forgot to rinse bucket after sterilising

JamieD

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I sterilised all my equiptment and stupidly forgot to rinse out my bucket before I started brewing, I know schoolboy error.. I emptied it pretty good but doubt it even dryed properly before I started..

So what do I do, just throw out the brew and start on another or leave it and taste if after a few weeks..

This is the steriliser I used and says rinse after using on instrautions..

Thanks

So I sterilised all my equiptment and stupidly forgot to rinse out my bucket before I started brewing, I know schoolboy error.. I emptied it pretty good but doubt it even dryed properly before I started..

So what do I do, just throw out the brew and start on another or leave it and taste if after a few weeks..

Thanks
Hay don't be so haisty there Jamie :) you should get some star San then u definitely don't need to rinse after sterilising ;). Let her ferment out then taste your Finnished product if she tastes soapy or off then toss,it but if I were u I'd just wait and see.

I agree, see where it is after a few days. You have to try to make this stuff "not beer". You'll make something at least drinkable, if not what you intended

Why did you sterilize you bucket ? Did you have an infection? If so just toss it out and get new one. I just wash with soft sponge and a bit of oxyclean. If your anal you could dump some boiling water in it but I wouldn't use anything caustic. What did you use? Bleach probably will ruin the beer but at this point you may as well let it ferment out.

Why did you sterilize you bucket ? Did you have an infection? If so just toss it out and get new one. I just wash with soft sponge and a bit of oxyclean. If your anal you could dump some boiling water in it but I wouldn't use anything caustic. What did you use? Bleach probably will ruin the beer but at this point you may as well let it ferment out.

If I had to guess, OP probably means sanitize but I guess we can't be sure until he says what he used. However, back to the topic on hand, I have to agree with just using StarSan. Bubbles/residue gets left behind but it's totally fine.

Thanks
Broad range of possible outcomes depending on what you used to sanitize the bucket, anything from chlorophenols in the beer to a stuck fermentation due to killed yeast. The most likely outcome: You'll get drinkable beer. Ferment it out and see what happens.

Definitely taste before toss. The number of brews I thought I messed up for whatever reason still turned out good. Some of my best beers I had thought ruined as early as brew day.

So what brand and how much did you leave in the bucket? It's unlikely that there's any chance of it having any negative health effects if it's just a film and depending on the beer, it may not have a noticeable effect on the flavor. You'll have a chance to taste it before you bottle/keg and that'll tell you a lot. If it tastes ok then, you won't hate it when it's cold and carbed.

Back