Malt analysis help

Myndflyte

Trial Member
Reaction score
A new malt company opened near me, Proximity Malt, and I'm interested in buying local, if possible. They posted a pdf analyzing their different malts. I was wondering if anyone might be able to explain what some of these terms on the report mean and what it means for brewing.

I realize I could probably google this but maybe others are interested as well. The pdf is attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• Proximity-Products-Guide-10.2016-website.pdf
    371.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Those numbers mostly won't matter much. You could just use their malts and stick with the values generated by the generic varieties in the BF data base. They'll be close.
The bigger problem will be whether they'll sell to you directly in small lots. If your LHBS is stocking their stuff, they should be able to tell you all you need to know. Otherwise I'm sure you could call the place and they'd be happy to explain (if they're willing to deal directly with homebrewers). ;)

If you want to add them as custom ingredients in your profile, all you need is the extract fine and color figures.

color, moisture level and protein is all you need to look at and it looks very close to the norm of most grains
when your editing a recipe in the fermentables section there is a drop down to the left of each it shows the PPG, Lovibond and OG of each grain selected

I'll have to look into them, being a Colorado malt house. I don't look at malt analyses very often but do know where to look if I need to: Palmer's "How to Brew" has all the info you need to decode the malt sheet.

The bigger problem will be whether they'll sell to you directly in small lots. If your LHBS is stocking their stuff, they should be able to tell you all you need to know. Otherwise I'm sure you could call the place and they'd be happy to explain (if they're willing to deal directly with homebrewers). ;)

Yeah I thought about that later. The fact they don't list prices probably means they don't sell to homebrewers. But I wonder how much in bulk I'd need to buy for them to sell to me.

The fact they don't list prices probably means they don't sell to homebrewers. But I wonder how much in bulk I'd need to buy for them to sell to me.

You never know. My local - Blackland Malts - doesn't list prices but sells directly as well as through the LHBS. Price is the same but I've been wanting to take a field trip and visit the facility so I'll make the drive across town and buy my next bag or two from them directly. They're a pretty small operation and it may be a very different proposition if you're dealing with a company as large as it seems that Proximity probably is.
I'll bet you could get somebody in the phone and talk them into selling you a bag or two at a time. Unless they have an agreement with some of the local retailers. Homebrewers in aggregate buy a lot of malt. They'd probably want to cultivate that market and supplying locals is a great way to start. If you get some, let us know how it works for you.:)

Back