The Remains of the Day...

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
20170129_101923_a.jpg

Out of 7 kegs I brewed up for our big party, 3 floated and there's a total of 7 1/2 gallons total in the rest. I didn't think I'd be cutting it that close. :eek:
I knew we'd have a big turnout and I told everybody specifically not bring beer, so it got sucked down. I should have know I could count on my beer-lovin' friends and neighbors. :)
Very happy that my brewing efforts over the last month we're quite a success. Everybody seemed to genuinely enjoy the final product. ;)

The more you have the more they drink. You will always reach an equilibrium

Reactions: J A
How were you serving them kegs out of the esky/cooler there JA you have gas line hooked up to them all?
Congratulations on your great brewing success. I love hearing feed back from people when drinking my homebrew especially if it's this is good!:D And I bet your hoppy to free up some kegs

How were you serving them kegs out of the esky/cooler there JA you have gas line hooked up to them all?
Turns out that the big Coleman cooler will just barely fit 5 kegs sitting in it. I snugged them in and set a wrap of Reflectix insulation around the inside of the cooler sticking about a foot or so above the rim. I poured a bag of ice in each of the small voids between the kegs and put a blanket over the top. Kept everything perfect temp for over 24 hours.
As for CO2...I rigged up some tubing and tees, and keg couplers and connected all 7 kegs to my bottle for serving. Only one time about halfway through the party that it wasn't perfect and that just required upping the pressure a little to account for the extra headspace. The low-carbed Guinness clone poured pretty slowly and required a little partial squeeze at the end of the pour to head up a little, but all the beers served well without foaming.
I'm happy with the way it all worked. I had no way of knowing ahead of time whether I'd be futzing with the rig the whole night and have a bunch of unhappy drinkers. ;)

Sorry for the off topic, but you evoked a memory about difficulty with a keg. My brother in law got a half barrel for his son's reception last summer. I wasn't around when they were setting it up, so my daughter got me to fix the problem they encountered. Hand pump, no CO2. It was coming out all foam, very bad pour. I asked my brother in law how much he pumped it. He said until he couldn't pump it any more. I told him it's not a tire, it's a keg!! That particular tap didn't have a relief valve, at least one I could find. Luckily, it was a full keg, the excess pressure was relieved by trying to fill a single pitcher.

Edit: before anyone asks, I did not offer my own beer for the reception. They are currently getting a divorce. Didn't even last a month. Saw it coming.

Seems like you cut it pretty close.
There was no way they were going to get any more out of me. ;) In fact the last keg, the Guinness clone, was an afterthought and I brewed it just barely over 2 weeks before the party. It was one of the beers that got hit the hardest. I suppose if I hadn't had it, we'd have floated nearly all of them. :)

There was no way they were going to get any more out of me. ;) In fact the last keg, the Guinness clone, was an afterthought and I brewed it just barely over 2 weeks before the party. It was one of the beers that got hit the hardest. I suppose if I hadn't had it, we'd have floated nearly all of them. :)
So much for having to age a stout then JA I'm guessing a few of them asked when your,next big booze party is haha:)

So much for having to age a stout then JA
That basic Guinness Draft-style dry stout recipe is simple and low-gravity. Except for the dark color and attendant roasty flavor, it has similar numbers to a Brittish Best Bitter. That style beer can turn around pretty routinely in 2-3 weeks. I decided that I'd brew it up and if it didn't finish nicely, I'd hold it. Worked out great though, and I'd happily do it exactly the same again. I've got a little left in the keg and I'll let that sit for a little while and see if it gets noticeably better.

Try it sometime when you want a good dark beer. Here's my recipe...it's virtually identical to any number of Guinness clone recipes.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/439205/quick-stout-guinness-style

Cheers JA I've not done an all grain stout will definitely look into it.

Back