Does high abv prevent carbonation at bottling?

Krausen King

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an imperial IPA that had on OG of 1.1 (kit claimed 1.08). I racked last week and the SG was 1.022. I am concerned that the alcohol is getting so high when I add the priming sugar for carbonation at bottling, the yeast will not be able to survive the high alcohol and I will just sweeten my flat beer. Sorry, I did not record the yeast brand, but it was a Brewer's Best kit.

I'm sure champagne yeast will carb it for you. But yea wait for some more reasonable responses :D. Hey I'm sure they would of given you a high alcohol tolerant yeast in your kit too

Any yeast included with the kit should have tolerance for the ABV. Most ale yeasts are going to have a tolerance of at least 10% and probably much more. Just do it, it'll be fine :)

I'd say just bottle it up. If the first couple bottles you open aren't carbed, you can also pop all of them, drop in a few grains of champagne yeast and close them back up. I had to do something similar with a barleywine I brewed.

I have an imperial IPA that had on OG of 1.1 (kit claimed 1.08). I racked last week and the SG was 1.022. I am concerned that the alcohol is getting so high when I add the priming sugar for carbonation at bottling, the yeast will not be able to survive the high alcohol and I will just sweeten my flat beer. Sorry, I did not record the yeast brand, but it was a Brewer's Best kit.

At 22 it could drop more. Check it in a few days and if it quits dropping, then you can consider bottling. No rush with a beer that big. And yes a yeast in a kit will probably handle the ABV just fine. Let the beer finish then worry about carbing it.

I have just completed a "Wee Heavy" OG was 1.108 the final was 1.015. I do not bottle but force carb in a keg. However, from whom I have talked to, depending on the alcohol tolerance of the yeast (mine was WLP028 and can handle my ABV) the results should be the same for any kind of bottling you might do, just follow the same procedure and remember, somewhere between 70-74 degrees is best for bottle carbonation. if you are still concerned, you can shake the bottles now and then to redistribute the yeast for better carbonation that and you can test one or two along the way. Good luck, and I am sure you will do just fine.
As a side note, your kit uses Safale US-05 and the alcohol tolerance is 11% your current ABV is 10.23 as said, you will do fine.

Last edited:

Back