Nailed it

ChuckGViolin

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Brewer's Friend!

Bottled my first non-kit recipe today, made on BF. The results are below. I'm more than happy with the outcome. Assuming the bottles carb correctly over the next couple of weeks, I'm excited to drink this one - then brew a larger batch.

1461d46d-8b7f-4569-abd2-dd4b4a68d134.png

You're gonna need a bigger pot! :)
That gallon of beer is going to disappear faster than you can mash another brew, much less ferment it out. ;)

Well you done it now. One of us one of us.

Good stuff mate

Congrats. Welcome to the obsession. I have a feeling you'll be stepping up the size of your system in no time.

You're gonna need a bigger pot! :)
That gallon of beer is going to disappear faster than you can mash another brew, much less ferment it out. ;)

I agree. I started doing 1 gallon BIAB. Now up to 3 gallon. Still like the smaller batches so I can experiment but 1 gallon wasn't quite enough.

agreed, it's much easier to get through a gallon of a recipe that turned out questionable, rather than 5 gallons of it

I agree. I started doing 1 gallon BIAB. Now up to 3 gallon. Still like the smaller batches so I can experiment but 1 gallon wasn't quite enough.

I was doing 2 1/5 gallon batches with extracts, but as soon as I went to all-grain (BIAB), I wanted to up the quantity...same amount of work for the smaller batches and more loss in the smaller primary fermenters due to break material compared to extract. I added, upgraded and upscaled equipment as I could and now I can mash and boil enough wort to get 5 1/2 gallons into the fermenter consistently and yield a full 5 gallons of finished beer.

A 12 gal mistake is a long time to drink it OZ , small batch certainly has a place for experimental brews
Up till now I've been maxing out at 6.5 gal batch in a 5.5 gal boil kettle and diluting into FV

Experience pays off, although I had a couple of crazy batches last summer 15 gallons down the drain, it wasn't the recipes, my hop storage was inadequate. Fixed now :oops:

I was doing 2 1/5 gallon batches with extracts, but as soon as I went to all-grain (BIAB), I wanted to up the quantity...same amount of work for the smaller batches and more loss in the smaller primary fermenters due to break material compared to extract. I added, upgraded and upscaled equipment as I could and now I can mash and boil enough wort to get 5 1/2 gallons into the fermenter consistently and yield a full 5 gallons of finished beer.

Nice. How are you getting the bag out? Do you lift it out by hand or do you have something to lift it out?

5 gallons BIAB can be lifted out by hand. It's not that heavy. I do it all the time.

5 gallons BIAB can be lifted out by hand. It's not that heavy. I do it all the time.
Not so hard to lift, but it can be hard not to drip everywhere. Useful to have an extra set of eyes and hands for that.

Plus, for me, my the mash kettle is a bit wider than the bucket I use to sparge, so transferring it can be a little tricky with a full grain bag

Back