How bad did I just screw that up? (Water)

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm making for the second time what some proclaimed as the best beer I've made yet.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/441445/chartreuse-microbus

The only change I intended to make was to increase the bittering hops to account for closer to 40IBU (the first time was only 30).

I mistakenly measured out and put in my mash water Calcium Carbinate (Chalk) instead of Gypsum (and wondered why the water looked cloudy, duh). This went into my mash for 5 minutes until I realized my mistake. I have drained the mash tun and started heating new water. So how bad did I jack this up? A million questions start swirling in my head about PH, grains now having been in contact with that for 5 minutes, what's happening to them while they sit there wet waiting for new water, efficiency loss and how that will affect hop utlisation (the one thing I'm confident I can measure and correct).

???

MrBIP

Well, this ends up being a regular IPA. Based on pre-boil gravity, I lost a lot by draining off the "bad" water. So made some hop adjustments to keep it all in line. It will be beer. Not the beer I was after. Hopefully a palatable beer.
What a friggen mess.

myself ? i would have just run with it , added the gypsum and had a beer
Chalk doesn't dissolve well from my understanding anyway
let us know how this ends up

Reactions: J A
Yea it looks turbid in the mash chalk that is but after the boil it will be clear as daylight in Australia on a hot summers day :p. Two brews ago I put chalk in that swartzy beer it tasted Delish. So yea I think she woulda been sweet. Was your beer an amber or darker malted brew it woulda benefited from the chalk darker malts like higher mash ph increases colour or mailard reactions and alpha amelase is more active at the higher ph range.

So this ends up being a toned down version of what was intended. I got half the hops I'll need for the next one. And excess yeast. And a beer I can drink more than one of us. IPA instead of Double IPA. Oh well.

Careful when you open them, though! Adding calcium carbonate to the mash tends to result in calcium phosphate crystals, resulting in gushers. I never use calcium carbonate in the mash, tend toward sodium bicarbonate or even hydroxide, if the change needs to be rather radical.

So this ends up being a toned down version of what was intended. I got half the hops I'll need for the next one. And excess yeast. And a beer I can drink more than one of us. IPA instead of Double IPA. Oh well.

Could always dry hop if hops are too toned down.

Back