What to do with hop hash?

HighVoltageMan!

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave 4 ounces of Yakama Hop hash, no AA/BA information or variety info.

My idea was to use it in a 170F whirlpool. From what I found, it's a resin type by-product which are the leftovers from pelletizing the hops. AA's are @ 25-40%. It's advantage is that it's supposed to have no grassy or vegetal characteristics.

My question is: Has anyone one have experience with hop hash, how did you use it and did it turnout?

Thanks!

This is a new one on me. I've not heard of or seen hop hash being used. Now I'll have to do some research out of curiosoty. Is it commercially available? What kind of packaging did it come in?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I forget the name of the brewery, but they make Sweetwater 420, and a hop hash ipa. Maybe they'll give some hints?

The brewery is out of Georgia I believe

Reactions: J A
If Hop Hash is the same as lupulin powder, here's Example A:
Yeah, it's supposed to be kind of like that. But there is no way to know what variety of hop this came from. The "hash" is cleaned from the pellet mill periodically, they used to throw it a way, but now some breweries use it in PA/IPA's. Sweetwater makes a DIPA with it, but I'm way up north and have no way of getting my hands on it.

It seems like a crap shoot using it, no idea how much bitterness it will create, no variety and no idea what to expect. From what I could find, More Beer sells it when they have it and the AA is estimated any where from 25 to 40%.

My idea was to brew an IPA with it (duh!) using 50% Maris Otter and 50% Rahr Premium Pils for a lighter, crisper beer. Then maybe use a small hop addition late in the boil for a little bittering and the hop hash goes in a 165-170F whirlpool for 30 minutes. I'm going to guess the AA @ 30% and estimate 3-4% utilization of the hash for a bitterness calculation. Then ferment it with Wyeast 1007 yeast @ 58F to keep it crisp and clean so the hop hash comes out, good or bad.

If anyone has another idea or experience with it, please let me know.

Thanks!

We get it but I haven't used it.
Here's the info on it;

As whole cone hops are processed into pellets, a small amount of lupulin collects on the screens as they pass through toward the pellet die. Previously lost in production, we now have deliciously dank hop hash. Hop hash is recommended as a late whrilpool addition, just before knock out to fully capture the hop aromatics.

If anyone wants to try it, I can get it.
Brian

well you could use it for...wait, i forgot.

what were we talking about man?

Wha... You.. wanna nahh.. man you smoke it not make beer with it...................
Doritos any one?

I forget the name of the brewery, but they make Sweetwater 420, and a hop hash ipa. Maybe they'll give some hints?

The brewery is out of Georgia I believe

I've had the 420 and the Hop Hash, which are both pretty decent. They have a Hop Hash brown ale, never had that one. Idk if I could tell a difference between them and normally hopped beer, I'll have to try them again to refresh my memory.

Speaking of stoner beer...have y'all tried Lagunitas The Waldo's? That s**t's insane. It was named after the guys who invented 420 back in the 70s. Mega-hoppy, and pairs well with...um...stuff.

Back