Handling PB leak

AnPeter90

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I barreled my first batch yesterday. I used PTFE tape and Vaseline to try and make the barrel leak proof but I noticed tonight a slight leak at the barrel/tap thread. Only a few drops (probably 5 mL in 12 hours or so). I tried to open the top to see if I had any pressure build up. I got a slight hissing sound so I closed it up again.

I think I should leave it be and hope that the fact that it seems to be able to hold some pressure is able to provide enough carbonation for the first few pints or so. Once I have a bit more room to play with I can use cartridge of CO2 for the rest of the way.

Any advice ??

Yeah I'd love to see a pic.

what were you using the Vaseline for. I would be too scared it would get in my brew and contaminate it.

yeah I get you there mate. But in my opinion using a petroleum based products that might come in contact with food is asking for it. I would of probably gone a food grade lube just to be sure.

I too am curious about this barrel setup he's talking about.

I'll third the motion that we get more info and maybe pics. :)
Sounds like you may be talking about a mini-keg set up and not an actual barrel. Keg Lube is what you want. It's a food-safe gel product that's used to seal Cornelius kegs and other fittings.

Back