Aussie brewers and biab

Brew Cat

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed alot of brewers here are from Australia just wondering what % of home brewers there do BIAB. I know it was invented there

I biab one vessel in keg it's just less equipment for similar results not sure of percentages but I consider it step one from extract to all grain and I see no reason to change:D unless for fully automated system and I ain't got the money for that and I value my relationship with my wife lol:p

Of the all grain and partial mash guys I know its majority BIAB
All of the partials use bags and a bit over half of the AG guys use bags
I regularly hit 78-80% brewhouse so the myth that it costs efficiency is just that .
Lower proportion also no chill

I am looking to add a dedicated hlt to my system to enable double brew days and make life a bit easier

Reactions: GPA
Seems to be really caching on here. I learned using a cooler tun but have switched to BIAB. I do Ten gallon batches which is probably the limit.

Yea I've seen one of them brulosopher posts where one of his microbrewer mates did a massive biab brew in one day in one them comercial kettles used a winch to lift the bag from memory.

I also started out with a copper manifold in an second hand esky but the fine voile brew bag leaves no husks Behring and I can brew all wheat if I want to so I switched to a panty hoe :rolleyes: then lastly my big birtha home made mother in law sowed bag;)

Yep and consistent high 70s low 80s efficiency my tip crush smaller for better efficiency

Last edited:
Oh and my 2 bob on the "cube" well I'm excited with this first wort hopping with perceived smoother bitterness I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure a double batch of a larger type brew where the hop schedule is simple. I'm imagining run first 20-23 lt of into cube FWH wort then add whirlpool addition to remaining wort in kettle for aroma and once cube hits 80ish and sanitisation has occurred add whirlpool hop to cube. Whadya thinko_O.

If you're FWH your wort is only at mashout temp when it hits hops , you'd be leaving your cubed portion to cool for 60-90 mins + while remainder of wort first comes to boil then your boil time

If you're FWH your wort is only at mashout temp when it hits hops , you'd be leaving your cubed portion to cool for 60-90 mins + while remainder of wort first comes to boil then your boil time
Exactly my few cubes I did were a little too bitter with quite a back of the thought bite. My thinking is account for the extra Bitterness but yea maybe a little too much hot hop time:rolleyes:. My brew that fermenting ATM if 90 min boiled and FWH ed it's that swartzy lager smelling nice and malty but bitterness will be interesting there Mark. I've just been racking my brain on how to incorporate a cube into a normal brew day without too much extra hop bitterness. How would you tackle a cube brew day incorporated into a regular brew day mark??o_O

In past I've added cube hops at 30min then dumped all aroma hops at cubing and dry hopped day 5 for aroma or added 10min hop tea

Think the standard rule is to subtract 20 from all but your 60 min main bittering addition to allow for the extra isomerisation with the slow cooling
a 20 min addition becomes a FO , a FO becomes a whirlpool
if using noble hops / low AA% then the extra IBU from bittering ( 60 min ) addition is bugger all
however if you did a no chill IPA with a decent AA% hop at 60 min then i'd suggest doing more of a hop burst late /FO so you get the best of the hops without the harsh bitterness
Not a caper i've played with much yet myself , i messed up an APA that came out harsh

I think I've got an attempt able way mark here goes a hyperthetical.
Total boil time =90.
Cube boil =60.
Add Bittering hop addition at 30min into boil let's say 30g Hellertau mittlefruh 3%AA
Fill cube 60min into boil add 20g Hellertau mittlefruh when racking boiling wort into cube for aroma addition.
Put cube aside.
At 20min to go add 20g Hellertau mittlefruh to kettle for aroma addition.
At 90min kill flame then proceed to chill wort to pitching temperature-rack to fermentor pitch yeast.

Use cube once fermentor free. Different yeast? Dry hop?
I'm thinking if and when I'm ready for a cube brew day this might be a goer whadya think;).

you've confused me mate !
try referring to batch 1 and batch 2
batch 1 is the chilled going into FV and batch 2 is the no chilled
you'll need to know the SG of each batch to calculate the hop utilisation as well

Kettle size is the main limitation , how big is your kettle ?
I have a 20gallon pot with a pulley for my 10 gallon brews which I do outdoors. Smaller batches I don't bother with a pulley

30min addition is cubes adjusted 60min addition and that 30min addition is also my normal batch 60min addition. Wort is boiled for another 30min after cube wort is pulled off kettle. So aa% would be calculated at 60min on both give/take. Get me now:rolleyes:. Anyhow it looks like it'd work in my mind :D

Only issues I see is that the cubed portion will cool faster , unless your sanitation is spot on the half full cube will be at risk of infection

I use a pulley to hoist grain bag above kettle for sparging. I want to upgrade to a ratchet type easier than tieying to keg

when I used a brew in a bag I had a good 2 pulley system one with a ratchet, I could pull 50 pounds of wet grain up with one hand, I gave the set up to a guy I built a system for that uses it with his basket, when you have a basket you can do a rinse or sort of a rinse sparge

Back