Alternative grain category

Bors

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello brewer mates!

There will be an upcoming homebrew competition in my country and I would like to compete in alternative grain category.
I just don't know if my recipe meets the criteria so it would be kind of you if you could give me a feedback on my recipe.
I used flaked oats and barley but it's only 5% from the fermentables so I'm kind of worried that it won't fit the style.

Recipe

Per BJCP, the alt grain should provide the major flavor and aroma profiles. That recipe is driven by the wheat and smoked malt. Flaked barley is not an alt grain so at 3% you'd need to get more out of the oats. Since it's a wheat porter I don't think you want to mess with the wheat aspect. Would you consider roasting the oats? That may be able to replace the flaked barley, smoked malt, and crystal for color and flavor.

Well, I roasted that 0.17 kg flaked oats approx. to golden colour sooo, yeah. Maybe I should roast it a little darker?

The roast Pilsner I did looked darker than it contributed when I roasted some of me own barley awhile ago. Definitely got the caramel roast flavour though. I say roast on brother you can't go wrong except if you get impatient and up the temp without stirring the grain!

Reactions: J A
I think aloe vera can replace food, aloe vera fruit can be eaten, aloe drink can be used as water to drink, the best of both worlds, aloe vera fruit and aloe vera drink nutrition is very rich, personally think that can replace the staple food.
You can refer to this article: http://www.okyalo.com/blog/2016/11/aloe-juice/
;)

I think aloe vera can replace food, aloe vera fruit can be eaten, aloe drink can be used as water to drink, the best of both worlds, aloe vera fruit and aloe vera drink nutrition is very rich, personally think that can replace the staple food.
You can refer to this article: http://www.okyalo.com/blog/2016/11/aloe-juice/
;)
=====================================================================

Thank you for your recommendation, the contents of your side of the article written correctly, the method is right, but the site ( acp)the article is somewhat similar , but also you write it?

Lol

Definitely got the caramel roast flavour though.

Even lightly toasting Pilsner really deepens the flavor, IMO.

@Bors , your recipe has a lot going on and I think it looks very interesting, but there's not much that's "Alternate" about it. For that particular category, I'd say replace the Wheat with Rye and have a very nice Rye Porter. I think that would be a great beer and be very much in style for competition.

Is that all the Bittering that is needed? I've no idea of that porter profile I think up the IBU to atleSt 30ibu bit who am I to,say I've not brewed a porter either all grain or extract but I'm I amagining tasting your beer so much malt but so little bitterness up it man! Prove me wrong!

Underlining is on it's not supposed to be so dramatic lol

Back