First Irish Red

GPA

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone been incognito for a bit,had to burn up some vacation days before year end, off till after New Year and spending some quality daddy baby time
Now time to knock out some trial batches, been stuck on this one, I want to stay within the style guidelines
Any thoughts?

Oh the Clementine IPA finally done, I thought the Clementine was a little reserved, but my brother in law who has a pretty decent palette;said he would drink it all day and it had a great balance of flavor a good summer brew.
I'll take it as a win since I don't drink IPA's often.

Recipe
1st Irish red Ale

Irish Red Ale
All Grain (3.00 gal) ABV: 4.89 %
OG: 1.051 SG FG: 1.014 SG
IBUs: 18.9 IBUs Color: 14.7 SRM
By: Greg Allen
• Ingredients

9.6 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
Mash addition (10.2%) - 60.0 SRM

1.9 oz - Roasted Barley
Mash addition (2.0%) - 300.0 SRM

5 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (84.7%) - 3.1 SRM

2.9 oz - Biscuit Malt
Mash addition (3.1%) - 23.0 SRM

0.60 oz - East Kent Goldings (EKG)
Boil 60 min (18.9 IBUs)

0.25 tsp - Irish Moss
Boil 10 min

1 pkg - Safale American
DCL/Fermentis #US-05
• Profiles for Recipe

My stuff 3.0 gallons
View Equipment Profile

BIAB, Full Body
View Mash Profile

Ale, Single Stage
View Fermentation profile

Hope everyone is enjoying their Holiday season and wishing all a Happy New Year full of great brews,great friends and happiness
Greg

Hope it turns out great GPA enjoy your brewing holiday :).

Reactions: GPA
Have you read about capping the mash with the darker grains? You get the color from the malt, but less of the roasty flavors

Have you read about capping the mash with the darker grains? You get the color from the malt, but less of the roasty flavors
Yes i read a little about that,thanks for the reminder.
Which brings me to a question, can't i just steep them like you would for an extract and hang that little ball s#€k in the pot ? Let it sit at temp for a while then bring it up to boil.
Pro's / Con's ?

I'd do it in some clean water, not in the wort. But I don't see any cons

I tried using roasted barley in a IR before and ended up having to call it a brown. I used 2.9% though so you are under that. If I try this again I would go 1% . Let us know if the color comes out.

Finished this Yesterday color was not what i was looking for going to try Red X next .
Thanks for the link Oz im going to try your recipe next

Back