IBU's with First Wort Hopping - Recipe Looks off

BufordBrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to add .55 ounces of Nelson Sauvin AA 12 % as a first wort hop in an attempt at an Alpine Nelson Clone. My recipe editor displays 13.88 IBU's for a first wort hopping, very low.

If I change the same hops to a 60 minute boil, the IBU's are 22.92. It is my understanding a first wort hopping is an addition right after the mash and before the boil, and would be included in a 60 minute boil . Beersmith says to take the 60 minute boil and add 10% more IBU's for a first wort hopping.

My question, is my understanding of a first wort hopping correct? If so, then why is the First wort hopping IBU's in the recipe editor so low? Am I entering this wrong? Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to add .55 ounces of Nelson Sauvin AA 12 % as a first wort hop in an attempt at an Alpine Nelson Clone. My recipe editor displays 13.88 IBU's for a first wort hopping, very low.

If I change the same hops to a 60 minute boil, the IBU's are 22.92. It is my understanding a first wort hopping is an addition right after the mash and before the boil, and would be included in a 60 minute boil . Beersmith says to take the 60 minute boil and add 10% more IBU's for a first wort hopping.

My question, is my understanding of a first wort hopping correct? If so, then why is the First wort hopping IBU's in the recipe editor so low? Am I entering this wrong? Thanks for any help.

Your understanding of fwh in execution is the same as mine. Not sure about the actual numbers though.

I know from a recent thread that there were some issues with this. I think they were looking into it. Try searching for that while you wait for one of the admins to reply

Your understanding of fwh in execution is the same as mine. Not sure about the actual numbers though.

I know from a recent thread that there were some issues with this. I think they were looking into it. Try searching for that while you wait for one of the admins to reply

Appreciate it. Thought I was losing my mind. Will check out other posts and make manual adjustments until then. Cheers!

We are in the process of changing this, due to the issue you've seen. I thought it was done, but the developer was still working on fixing it on Friday when we last talked. We are changing it to be boil time + 10% as the IBUs calculated by FWH but it will be able to be changed by the brewer.
In the meantime, you can go with the boil time of 75 minutes, or 60 minutes if that is your boil time and then remember there will be a few more IBUs added, and that should get you close.

So, if you get 50 IBUs from the 60 minute addition, you can probably get 55 IBUs from that addition with a FWH addition. Most people don't get that level of IBUs in a 60 minute addition, often under 40, so the IBU difference will be pretty negligible between 60 minutes and FWH IBU calculations for most users.

Yep I second that the calculator is still not fixed brewing today and FWH ing and IBUs say around 15 for90 min boil but cheers for the estimation yooper will use 90 min for IBUs

Back