Other hobbies

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What else do you like to do besides brew your own beer?

About a year ago, when we were on vacation to our favorite place on earth, my son tripped over a geocache while we were hiking. He knew what it was, and I have a friend who tried to get me into it. So I downloaded the app, and we geocached the rest of the time while we were on vacation. A year later, I have about 125 finds. So I don't do it a lot, but it's a great reason to get the Vette out on a sunny day.

I spent several years as a beta tester for server software, from Linux to windows, alot of years on Linux email servers

and yes it was a hobby unpaid

other hobbies ?
These days im either making beer , thinking about beer or studying ways to make my beer better
there's also a 6 day a week job that leaves me stuffed (really tired ) every night
over the years i've had bikes or restored classic cars , fished , hunted or tried to learn musical instruments.
Have traveled broadly trough Europe , the US and Canada , Japan and even a few work related trips to China and other developing South east asian countries

Rock climbing (hence the handle and profile pic). Lucky if I get out to do a bit of bouldering once a week right at the moment, but at least the kids are getting keen on the sport too.

GiddayT Ben,

I see ypu mentioned the Noosa River. My wife and I love to spend time in Noosa, and have have had some perfect holidays there!

We live in Wellington NZ. About 30 mins. out of town (north) Where are you in relation to Noosa?

Regards,

Pete

GiddayT Ben,

I see ypu mentioned the Noosa River. My wife and I love to spend time in Noosa, and have have had some perfect holidays there!

We live in Wellington NZ. About 30 mins. out of town (north) Where are you in relation to Noosa?

Regards,

Pete
I'm an hours drive down the road in Caloundra the south end of Sunshine Coast to be exact I live in Golden beach up the Pumicestone Passage a little way yep paradise on earth:p. Even better with a decent drop of beer in ya cup!. Yep I will make it back to them Everglades north of Noosa I've gotta get a roof rack sorted for the 4x4 and I'll be planning a camping trip up the river I'll have to brew some India pale ale,to take on my river voyage ha ha:). Cheers Pete I'm looking forward to trying more of NZ gladfield malts and hops soon;)

There any decent mudcrabs left in the passage ?
any where else i've thrown em back under 18 cm but there i took them at 15.1
Off Darwin i caught them at 30 + and could even take females up there

There any decent mudcrabs left in the passage ?
any where else i've thrown em back under 18 cm but there i took them at 15.1
Off Darwin i caught them at 30 + and could even take females up there
Going on my fishing abilities Mark there ain't nothing left in the passage :p. I saw some young fellas with a 40cm flat head yesterday arvo so there are some big fish around for sure. Plenty of sting rays too. There are mud crabs round but there seems to,be a social misunderstanding that you can just raid anyone's crab pot!:mad:. Talking to a fella from BCF people are going to incredible lengths to try and catch these five fingering crab theifs that they are setting up motion detection cameras in nearby mangroves!;) . Yep I was spoilt rotten up in Darwin where you were pretty much garunteed a fish but down here you really have to work for them.

you were sure to hook up but had to race to crocs to get it to the boat !
trying to take big barra on pretty light gear took finesse and a bit of luck
Well there ya go Mark that's another hobbies fishing! I'm not mad,keen my bro is he recently went on a fishing trip up near Borroloola gulf country Northern Territory side and they took a whole pallet of piss up in a trailer I know they sure didn't run outta beer!:D

I was lucky enough to spend some time whilst living in Darwin on a pearl boat working over,through the kimberlies and down through Broome and as far as Exmouth. Yep I was spoilt rotten with the fishing:). For smoko I'd throw some meat (what ever we had at smoko) on a hook and within five minutes or less a greedy reef shark would be fighting for all hell on the end of me line. I loved it:D. We had tiger sharks as well one brought in over 12 foot long. I never landed one but had plenty on we fished for those wearing gloves because the line would burn into your hand. We used heavy poundage line and hand real throw the hand real on the deck behind and make sure no one is standing,in the wrong spot or line will cut you too the bone:eek:! I just loved the thrill of having such a powerful beast on the end of the line often they would run for a bit then the line would go slack that's when they've turned around to have a look at what's got hold of it! All I'd see is a big shadow next to the boat then they turn and like that snap the line like its nothing.

- Chasing after my kids who are all in sports (2 high schoolers and a 4th grader)

- Autocrossing my heavily modified Mustang GT

- Steam punk-ish woodwork projects, general woodworking

- Home improvement projects (sometimes because I have to and sometimes because I want to)

- Cigars

- Bourbon

- Smoking meat (side by side smoker) and general meat craft

Attachments

• 20161028_183049-1008x756.jpg
    20161028_183049-1008x756.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 20161015_185818-1008x756.jpg
    20161015_185818-1008x756.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 239
The jerky is hung in the smoker with care...
Did I tell ya there jeff that my brother is currently constructing a DIY smoker out of an old hot water system using the boiler laid side ways. I just hope he Hurrys up and Finnishes it so I can get some home made jerky! I know what I'll youse to trade with him:D

Is that you drinking a jim beam Joshua oh and on a beer brewing site Lol:D. Looks like you know how to holiday ;) them Jimys took a hiding eh?

I am all over the map with hobbies:
  • Sticking with the yeast family I tend to make most of our breads, I find it relaxing and almost instant gratification compared to the time it takes to brew beer.
  • Flying Remote Controlled R/C airplanes
  • We have a large vegetable garden each year that takes time and planning (a very small orchard 12 trees)
  • In the fall I am hunting ducks, geese, doves or deer on most weekends - love spending time on the river in 10 decree weather.
  • Fishing and crabbing in the spring
  • We raise chickens, pheasants and quail (chickens for Eggs, pheasants and quail for the table)
  • And don't tell anyone but I also spend a fair amount of time in our pottery studio making pottery
  • Camping and hiking a couple of times each year
  • spending time with our two Great Danes
  • I don't watch much TV.....
I have found that life has a lot to offer and I will try most anything once.

Back